Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Big slick (off) vs. small pair...

Home game situation PRE-FLOP: I put in a normal 3X BB raise from early position...folds around to one last TIGHT player who puts in a stiff re-raise. I put him on a small to medium pair. Knowing his tendencies, I figure he's looking to make a stand with an avg. hand...not a great hand since I've already pushed him out of many pots. I push all in. He calls without hesitation and shows 66. I lose the race. Let me guess....terrible move on my part and I should have called his large bet and seen a flop????
Old 08-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Big slick (off) vs. small pair...

It's roughly a coin toss, so given you'd already got money in (and assuming the raise wasn't say x5 or more your raise) and you're sure of your read, it's +EV.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:57 PM

I think that if you think you are the better player I think you should call there. You know he has a pair but you need to hit an ace or a king to beat him. I would wait see if the flop is anything dangerous. Also if a J-Q come out you might be able to get him to lay down the best hand.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:09 PM

Why flip a coin for your whole stack. You know he has a pair. You just have ace high. Call, see the flop and if he doesn't hit trips you can probably bet him off it.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:24 PM

You hit the nail on the head. For the record, the flop was all over-cards to his 6,6. I definately miss-played the hand, no question about it. I was on a roll and got cocky. Period.