Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Party 100NL TT hand

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($114.6)
MP1 ($131.9)
MP2 ($91.7)
MP3 ($44.15)
CO ($187.55)
Button ($172)
Hero ($127.1)
BB ($136.8)
UTG ($111.05)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $2, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $6</font>, Hero (poster) calls $5, BB folds, MP1 folds, CO calls $4.

Flop: ($22) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, CO calls $20, Button calls $20.

Turn: ($82) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $55</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $137
Old 01-09-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Party 100NL TT hand

Why bet out the flop? check/call or check/raising might be beter.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:03 PM

I didn't really wan't to back my stack on this. a check raise would leave me virtually pot committed so i decided to bet and see what happened. I was going to fire again but when i got called in two places if figured my TT's had to be beat. I was wondering if this was just stupid thinking on my part though and am interested how others would play it
Old 01-09-2005, 09:04 PM

That makes sense. TT it the hardest hand to play in NL IMO.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:12 PM

I agree with Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! -- check the flop, going for a check-raise. If the PFR fires you can make a small raise to get AK/AQ/nonsense-hands to fold their semi-bluff. CO will probably also check, and will face a bigger bet coming to him. I don't think you become pot-commited that fast, and if the button is betting full pot than you can fold.

Having said all this, this situation becomes a thousands times easier to play if you have measurements of your opponents aggression factors from PokerTracker. If the PFRer is very aggressive on the flop, a check-raise is best -- unless he is very LAG you can fold to a reraise. If both CO and Button call a lot on the flop, dont lead out. Your hand may be best, but without position, against multiple opponents and the posibility of being completely dominate, I don't think you can go very far with this hand. TT doesn't like undercard flops much.

Given that you lead the flop -- which I think is a playable line against tight aggressive opponents (since it almost screams set) -- the turn is fine. CO's cold-call scares me a lot, since it seems like a second-hand-low play intending to trap the preflop raiser. I'd say CO actually has a set.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:24 PM

If I check raise I have no clue what the guy in the middle is going to do. If I bet out I can guage his as well as the initial pre flop raisers actions. He may very well just be checking a big hand leaving me caught in between
Old 01-09-2005, 09:29 PM

The fact that this is a multiway pot makes a fold easier.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:06 PM

I'm no genius, LA, but I would have played it the same as you. I can see the arguments for the check-raise, and I guess this is one of the few times in NL where you'd want to check-raise a flop. But personally I hate this move because of all the trouble it's gotten me into in the past, and much prefer to take one stab at this pot before shutting down if called by both.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:59 PM

I think your line is fine (sorry for that rhyme...and again there.) I bet this flop too. I don't like the check raise as much because this might push AK and similar hands off while the monsters AA, KK, and sets all have a chance to rear their ugly heads. The C/R commits a lot more money, and if there are big PP out there, you will likely see a push and then you lose out on more money. Also, checking it can get you stuck between players and you won't know what the action behind you will be. Oh, and I don't like giving free cards (though I'd be shocked if it got checked through.)

- ToT
Old 01-09-2005, 11:01 PM

I find TT-QQ very difficult to play, particularly QQ. I would love to hear any advice on PF strategy for these hands in 6max if you or anyone would care to share. Thanks.

- ToT