Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Games freeze up at Absolute. Karma is a jerk!

So I have been having the same problem as Microbob, but I have a decent computer (1.8Ghz Athlon, 512DDR, 120GB HD).

I emailed support and told them I would send a screenie if they wanted. Bah, this sucks.

Microbob, did it do it for you when you joined a table from the waiting list? That's when it happens for me.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Games freeze up at Absolute. Karma is a jerk!

If I play long enough on my Win2K machine at the office, eventually the action locks up for me on Absolute. I can still hear game sounds through the speakers, but the windows no longer update and I can't enter actions. I have to use task manager to kill it.

I've been working with support, but they were down to the desperation "turn off pop up blockers" and other unlikely suggestions so I just gave up on playing Absolute from work. (I haven't tried the very latest update - I'll give that a shot on Monday).

Absolute on my home machine doesn't just lock up out of the blue like my work machine, but will still sometimes go into the "slowdown crawl of death." If I don't kill the software and restart, eventually it will become unplayable.

It looks like Absolute is highly sensitive to disk activity in a way that other poker room software is not. If I download a hand history and import it into pokertracker, Absolute stutters and won't let me enter my actions until the Pokertracker import is done.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:36 PM

as quercus has outlined...it appears that there are different problems that perhaps appear on different machines.

My particular problem happens when I open up a table.
It can be the first thing I do after booting up my computer (so I do NOT have mozilla and 4 other poker-applications running or something like that).
if I open up just ONE table on absolute it gets REALLY slow.

It was not always like this. I played there off and on for a couple of months and had other problems that have been described here such as 'gets slowed after 100-200 hands there' or 'gets slowed if playing 3 tables there and 2 on empire and running 2 monitors' etc.

but my current problem is such that I can't even OPEN a single table there without the whole computer getting REALLY slow (much less actually play on one).

In other exciting news....when I ordered my new computer I was told it would ship by June 28.
But i got an e-mail today saying that it had just shipped and that I would receive it in 3-5 days.

(seems they give a ridiculously late date for expected-shipping just to cover themselves in case it gets delayed somehow).

Shortly thereafter I will get my current machine shipped off to Absolute and they will begin tinkering with it and figuring out more about the problem (or at least one aspect of what appears to be several different problems imo).
Old 06-12-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as quercus has outlined...it appears that there are different problems that perhaps appear on different machines.

My particular problem happens when I open up a table.
It can be the first thing I do after booting up my computer (so I do NOT have mozilla and 4 other poker-applications running or something like that).
if I open up just ONE table on absolute it gets REALLY slow.

It was not always like this. I played there off and on for a couple of months and had other problems that have been described here such as 'gets slowed after 100-200 hands there' or 'gets slowed if playing 3 tables there and 2 on empire and running 2 monitors' etc.

but my current problem is such that I can't even OPEN a single table there without the whole computer getting REALLY slow (much less actually play on one).

In other exciting news....when I ordered my new computer I was told it would ship by June 28.
But i got an e-mail today saying that it had just shipped and that I would receive it in 3-5 days.

(seems they give a ridiculously late date for expected-shipping just to cover themselves in case it gets delayed somehow).

Shortly thereafter I will get my current machine shipped off to Absolute and they will begin tinkering with it and figuring out more about the problem (or at least one aspect of what appears to be several different problems imo).

[/ QUOTE ]

The weird thing about this is that I have a pretty decent computer. AMD Athlon 2800+ XP, 512 DDR, 120GB HD.

I have no idea why this is happening.

Email has been forwarded to tech support.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:45 PM

Aparently, they have done a recent upgrade. I tried 3 tables today and it was randomly freezing up (not timing out, just making it PIA to play) for a few seconds. I finally dropped back to 2 tables and it was fine again.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:58 PM

I have a top of the line Dell Inspiron XP2 2 that is better than the computer Microbob just ordered and since the update my computer completely locks up after playing Absolute for an hour or so.

Before the update, the game was slower but I never had these lockups. Now, it seems that it locks up all of the time when I play for an hour or two.
The main reason I am posting is that I just restared my computer after a lock up and as soon as I tried to sit at a table again my hard drive started whizzing and the computer locked up again. Only one table and after a restart!!

I am happy to see that Absoulte is trying to work with its users on improving their software, but if even the newest "top-of-the-line" computer can't handle it, it makes it really hard for anyone to enjoy playing at their site.
As it is, I cannot play their site right now. I'm going to shut it down again and restart to see if I can at least join one table.

If anyone has links to possible suggestions for getting Absolute to work better please post them
Old 06-13-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I play long enough on my Win2K machine at the office, eventually the action locks up for me on Absolute. I can still hear game sounds through the speakers, but the windows no longer update and I can't enter actions. I have to use task manager to kill it.

I've been working with support, but they were down to the desperation "turn off pop up blockers" and other unlikely suggestions so I just gave up on playing Absolute from work. (I haven't tried the very latest update - I'll give that a shot on Monday).

Absolute on my home machine doesn't just lock up out of the blue like my work machine, but will still sometimes go into the "slowdown crawl of death." If I don't kill the software and restart, eventually it will become unplayable.

It looks like Absolute is highly sensitive to disk activity in a way that other poker room software is not. If I download a hand history and import it into pokertracker, Absolute stutters and won't let me enter my actions until the Pokertracker import is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had this happen a handful of times at AP (like maybe 4) over the course of probably around 10,000 hands. It freezes up but I can still hear sounds. I can say though that it hasn't happened for a few weeks.

Are you sure it's a good idea to be playing poker at work? I know at my job i'd be fired instantly for this - assuming we actually had net access which we do not.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:11 AM

Yeah...this is really confusing stuff.
All the whirring and 85% CPU usage type stuff just by opening one freaking table there...whereas I can open any combination of 16 tables or so on 6 different sites if I wanted to and probably not have any problems at all.

As I said....AP used to be pretty fine on my machine the first few weeks I played there.

I almost wonder if there's some kind of a bug/virus or something that got into their system or something weird like that (note - I know NOTHING about computers so my thoughts on it being a virus are COMPLETELY unfounded....but obviously SOMETHING is wrong there for many users).
Old 06-13-2005, 12:59 AM

2 thoughts

1)I'd be really bummed if I started having trouble with Absolute at this point. I can 3 table there just fine. I'm really enjoying the site. Bonus+Rakeback= good times.
I'll be pissed if this breaks down on me.

2) (Hijack alert) Embarrased to say, I play at work too. Shouldn't do it, but when things get slow and boring it's just to tempting.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:09 AM

I thought it was only happening on my work machine, but it hit me again tonight on my home machine. I'm running the latest new, new client (5.5.4), so whatever the problem is hasn't been fixed yet.

Its very frustrating to get auto-folded on active hands because the Absolute software freezes you out. The only comp from Absolute I've gotten is basically "sorry."