Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Ohio St -2 1/2 @ Michigan POTW#12

[ QUOTE ]
ahhh...yes, but Carr is still coaching in this game and he is, by far, the worst coach in the league

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm an ohio state fan, so naturally i dislike michigan.

but saying that lloyd carr is the worst coach in the big10 is quite possibly the dumbest thing i've heard all week.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:37 PM

If having the worst Big 10 coaches is what it takes to have one of the nine current coaches to win national championships, then I'll take it!

(Is my count of nine correct? Pete Carroll, Jim Tressel, Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, Lloyd Carr, Larry Coker, Bob Stoops, Joe Paterno, and Phil Fulmer. Am I missing anyone?)
Old 11-15-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If having the worst Big 10 coaches is what it takes to have one of the nine current coaches to win national championships, then I'll take it!

(Is my count of nine correct? Pete Carroll, Jim Tressel, Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, Lloyd Carr, Larry Coker, Bob Stoops, Joe Paterno, and Phil Fulmer. Am I missing anyone?)

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed Bobby Ross, and I believe I had a Howard Schnellenberger sighting earlier this year, coaching for some scrub 1A program (FAU maybe?).
Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Ross is correct (Georgia Tech! in 1990), and Schnellenberger is indeed at Florida Atlantic.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:11 PM

LOL...has there been a team that has under-performed more than Michigan in the Big 10 under Lloyd Carr?

a brief Michigan history
1995: favored 10 games, dogs 2, even 1--Results 9-4 (-1.5 games)
1996: favored 9, dogs 2, even 1--Results 8-4 (-1.5)
1997: favored 11, dogs 1--Results 12-0 (+1 *The exception and a year I acknowledge as good)
1998: favored 11, dogs 2--Results 10-3 (-1)
1999: I'm missing it so far, but I'm searching. --Results 10-2.
2000: favored 10, dogs 2--Results 9-3 (-1)
2001: favored 10, dogs 2--Results 8-4 (-2)
2002: favored 12, dogs 1--Results 10-3 (-2)
2003: favored 12, dogs 1--Results 10-3 (-2)
2004: favored 10, dogs 2--Results 9-3 (-1)
2005 (so far): favored 8, dogs 2--Results 7-3 (-1)

By my calculation, that is losing ~1 1/2 games more per year than they expected. Every single year (except the one) is a disappointment. WOW!!!!!

This is even with downward revised estimates as the year has gone. A team with the top talent in the big10 every year (along with Ohio State), yet finds ways to lose.
How far below preseason expectations does UM fall?

Don't sell me the BS, cuz I've watched/studied far too much to bite for this.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:45 PM

I'd rather be an "overrated" national power than an overachieving nobody school any day. But call me crazy.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather be an "overrated" national power than an overachieving nobody school any day. But call me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...what does this have to do with anything? I'm not discussing the merits of rooting for any team. I'm making a business decsion here about what to do with my money.

I'm just stating that Lloyd Carr is a terrible coach and I've made money off that fact. While I didn't go through every big ten coach, as required to say he is the worst, I did show he is obviously doing some bad things. I know, off the top of my head, that Tressel, Walker, Paterno, Mason, Alvarez, Tiller, and Ferentz are far ahead. Zook and the IU guy are unknowns. John L. Smith might be worse, so I could've overstated my argument.

As for 1999, 10 favorites, 1 dog--don't know about Orange Bowl. I remember them as even with the Crimson Tide, but that's memory only and nothing concrete.

Personally, I'm very happy Carr is at UM as they have not done as well as they should over his time. For example, Carr's blunders led me to have a nice vacation to the Sugar Bowl a few years back with a team that was 25 points worse than Michigan. If Michigan is satisfied with the current level of success, good for them. As a person viewing from the outside, though, they could be much higher.

Yes, I do support my state school that I attended. I personally admit to hating Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Notre Dame, Indiana, and Mizzou. Big deal.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't touch any OSU/UM game with a 20 foot pole.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good point...ugly history of favorite going down. Oh well, I just could not pass up this line.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:01 PM

on my betting site i noticed he line at osu -3.5 a couple days ago.

im a buck fan for sure but i think betting on osu (even at -2.5) is a huge gamble. no matter how good the teams have been playing or how good they actually are, all that goes out the window for this game. besides, osu is only marginally better than michigan this year at best.

furthermore, you must consider the huge boost michigan has when playing at home. there have been so many crazy, impropable wins in that stadium espcecially in big games. remember, they pulled it out against a great penn state team this year. a psu team that basically whupped osu.

if im betting im taking michigan without a doubt.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:04 AM

bump for Saturday and in case anyone missed me being a jerk