Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: open limp from middle postion

well, i think with these hands that one spot difference between mp1 and mp2 can be significant. i don't think you want to get 3 bet and be heads up out of position with these specific hands. and this seems to happen frequently in the aggressive higher limit games.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well, i think with these hands that one spot difference between mp1 and mp2 can be significant. i don't think you want to get 3 bet and be heads up out of position with these specific hands. and this seems to happen frequently in the aggressive higher limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then fold.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:59 AM

i'm not saying that raising with these hands from mp1 is wrong. i'm just curious to what others think. i don't see how you can fold these hands. i know most people would raise from any middle position. recently i started limping only these hands and only from mp1 after i was constantly reraised and then heads up with a not so good hand and out of positon. i think limping has 2 benefits. first you won't get 3 bet and second if there is a raise, you might get others to call the 2 bets. i feel its much better to play these hands for 2 bets against 3-4 players rather than play for 3 bets against one player. again, i would only do this from mp1. mp2 i would always raise. i know that might sound picky but i think sometimes even one seat makes a big diffence.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not saying that raising with these hands from mp1 is wrong. i'm just curious to what others think. i don't see how you can fold these hands. i know most people would raise from any middle position. recently i started limping only these hands and only from mp1 after i was constantly reraised and then heads up with a not so good hand and out of positon. i think limping has 2 benefits. first you won't get 3 bet and second if there is a raise, you might get others to call the 2 bets. i feel its much better to play these hands for 2 bets against 3-4 players rather than play for 3 bets against one player. again, i would only do this from mp1. mp2 i would always raise. i know that might sound picky but i think sometimes even one seat makes a big diffence.

[/ QUOTE ]

open limping suited trash and trash suited aces is a good way to get isolated by a good player. even if you have a better hand, you are going to check fold the flop a lot.

Here's what to remember. when no one has limped:

A7s from MP1 is trash, JTs from MP1 is trash, QTo is trash, KTo is trash.

Just fold and move on to the next hand.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:21 PM

Very interesting to see a discussion regarding the difference between MP1 and MP2. I have tried to solve this problem by considering MP1 to be EP and I refer to it as the "fence" as in "sitting on the fence" meaning it can be EP or MP depending upon game texture and the action thus far. The way I actually do it is to look backward from the button. Button and cutoff are LP. Next two are MP. Then comes the fence and three EPs.

Wes' comment on folding all of those hands is interesting and probably relevant for a tougher game than what I usually play. I am still by far the tightest preflop player in my game, however.

I am currently open-limping A9s and the lower Broadway suiteds from the fence. I open-raise AQo and 99 here too.

A3s is a clear fold for me here. I might play the small suited aces in LP but only with many limpers in front. In LP I might steal-raise with it but conditions would have to be right.

Small pairs (below 99) I usually limp to flop a set with many limpers in front or steal-raise (or isolate one limper) when late.