Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 10:05 PM

Default AA line I\'ve never taken before...

Opponent is very tight, but his preflop raise selection is wide: VP$IP = 16.52 and Preflop raise % = 7.83 over 345 hands

What do you think?

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP3 ($517.60)
CO ($253.70)
Button ($78.80)
SB ($418.95)
Garland ($482.40)
UTG ($399.90)
UTG+1 ($539.60)
MP1 ($231.90)
MP2 ($460.70)

Preflop: Garland is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>,<font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $14</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $52</font>, MP3 calls $52, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($118) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Garland checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $76</font>, Garland folds.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: AA line I\'ve never taken before...

If you had KK/QQ would you still check the flop?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:15 PM

I think you played it well. Some might argue that you should have lead the flop though.
KK and QQ are opponents most likely holdings. Small chance he has AA. AK isn't really an option.
Then again I'm supposedly weak/tight so lets see what everyone else says.

Edit: The more I read this the more it screams KK. I think hes going to have KK over 70% of the time here. That was a big PF raise to call. You both have deep stacks, and you showed real strength PF. He doesn't want to commit his deepstack against that strength. He also sees folding Kings as being too weak, so he calls. Good Fold.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK isn't really an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

why isn't AK an option? plenty of players play AKo to a re-raise to 50+. and these players will definitely play AKs for 50+. i think you're narrowing down the villain's hand range as a result of that. i lead this flop and slow down after that. or check-call and re-evaluate on the turn.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why isn't AK an option? plenty of players play AKo to a re-raise to 50+. and these players will definitely play AKs for 50+. i think you're narrowing down the villain's hand range as a result of that. i lead this flop and slow down after that. or check-call and re-evaluate on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-Calling is horrible. Your only other option is to to lead/fold.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-Calling is horrible. Your only other option is to to lead/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is check-calling horrible? care to elaborate? it'll look like a slow play in villain's eyes in my opinion and i doubt he'd bet again on the turn w/ AK. no one can understand your thought process since you type the very minimum.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:38 PM

Anyone fishy enough to call a 50 dollar re raise with AK is going to be fishy enough to fire another barrel on the turn and river. By check/calling you are slowly committing your stack with a possibility of only 2 outs. You aren't gaining any information and aren't giving the villain the chance to show the strength of his hand and let you get away cheaply.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:35 PM

To me his hand range is two hands based on that bet : AK or QQ. Wouldn't he re-raise with KK pre-flop? You have one crushed and one crushes you. AK's not calling a three-bet though.

Why wouldn't you lead the flop for half-pot? If he raises you can be done with it - if he calls you're in a tricky spot, but he's got to put you on a big hand as well (AA, KK, QQ, AK) - he's not going to try to bluff you out on the turn with JJ.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:30 AM

Wow Garland, I seriously need to let go of AA more easily. Nice hand.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:38 AM

I really think you have to lead the flop here for something. Checking just gives him too much of an opportunity to take the pot away with a hand worse than yours. The way you played it is incredibly weak tight and if anyone is paying attention will probably cause a few more people to play back at you, when they know you will fold after a PF re-raise to one bet.

By that last part, I mean there are really some metagame considerations that I think dictate essentially betting any flop after you re-raise pre-flop. I happen to think an aggressive image is always profitable, IMHO.