Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Call me a traitor, for I have switched sides

I was for the war in Iraq now I am against it. It is not because we didn’t find weapons on mass destruction. It is not because Saddam Hussein wasn't a threat. Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi received medical treatment in Baghdad before the war. Al Qaeda had camps in the north of Iraq which produced the near catastrophe of the Ricin poisoning of London; which was foiled by intelligence agents of Britain. No, I have switched sides because enough is enough. War needs to stop. One side needs to quit being the aggressor.

Let's win the war on terrorism by refusing to fight it. Instead let's tighten our defenses and curb our aggression internationally. We don't need military bases in Germany. The South Koreans spit at our soldiers while they defend their sovereignty. To hell with them. Let's close all of our military bases abroad and instead focus on our national defense. A strong navy, a strong army on the border, and a liberal immigration policy. This will keep us safe. A strong FBI and a national focus on terrorism at home. These things will keep us safer than a ridiculous notion of changing a millennia of culture in the middle east.

After 911 there was a time for offence. We have broken the back of Al Qaeda and now is the time for defense. Let's stop giving the world a reason to hate us. And let's kill every motherfucker who would do our country harm, but let's do it in a defensive state of mind. Let them come to us. We ARE capable of catching them.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Call me a traitor, for I have switched sides

my thoughts as well for the most part
Old 10-15-2005, 09:20 AM

To illustrate this point, I have an example:

I was in the Army recently (post 9/11) and I understand how our defense works, most likely better than the public (no superiority here, I was military intelligence, and worked exclusively on project 'noble eagle' which deals with domestic terrorist cells). We have hundreds of thousands of troops abroad, dealing with a threat at its "heart" when we should be more worried about its "arms".

I lived in Connecticut and went to school at Western CT St. University in Danbury. Since I had never seen the big apple, me and a couple of drunk friends decided to catch the last train there on a friday night. I boarded, and the whole way there the only person I saw was the conductor who punched my ticket. My friend's bag had metal in it, and an illegal substance, but his bag was never checked. We pulled into Grand Central Station, and went on our way.

If I had had a biological or nuclear weapon, what would have stopped me from just placing it in the station, then hopping into a car and getting the hell outta dodge? Not a damn thing, yet we spend however much money to put airborne soldiers in the 1st in Germany.

This is part of why I cashed out of the Army.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:51 PM

You do realize that isolationist policies of the past have been disasters, don't you?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:53 PM

I have an idea. Instead of forcing our young kids to go fight our wars for us, lets make the military 100% voluntary. Then only people who volunteer to fight for us will be in harms way. I think this idea could work. Like it?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a liberal immigration policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You recommend a liberal immigration policy. Don't we have that already? Virtually anybody can get here who wants to come, legal or not. Plus, how would that keep us safer? Allowing more people in would seem to put us at greater risk of allowing in terrorists. I would think restricting immigration might make it easier to defend the country.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that isolationist policies of the past have been disasters, don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

"There you go again," Ex. Making with facts and no hyperbole. When are you gonna learn? Jeeze, man, you really do enjoy rainin' on tha "Whirled Peas" parade(s), dont'cha?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

p.s.
"Why can't we all just get along?"
Old 10-15-2005, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't call you a traitor. You've just changed your mind. And, IMO, you've demonstrated the mindset of so many Americans of today. If the problem takes more than 30 minutes to 14 days to solve, hell, just muck it.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:09 PM

" Al Qaeda had camps in the north of Iraq which produced the near catastrophe of the Ricin poisoning of London; which was foiled by intelligence agents of Britain."

I'm glad you switched sides but seriously - those "al Qaeda" (not really, but regardless) camps were in areas of Iraq that were, thanks to the no-fly zones, independent of Iraqi government control; and the "ricin plot" turned out to be completely imaginary: no ricin was ever found, no evidence was ever presented that linked the "ricin" conspirators to Iraq, none of them were convicted on ricin related charges, and the only deadly use of ricin is to inject it directly into people.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:09 PM

You are against the war for mostly the wrong reasons. Credibility is something that takes years to build and is quickly gone. Bush has destroyed our credibility with the world by his bungling of just about everything. When you tell people you are invading another country for a very specific reason you better be right.

It's amazing to me how much people freak out over terrorism. We are in more danger from crazy Americans going postal on a subway than we are from foreign terrorist. You're more likely to die from a drunk driver than by terrorists. You're more likely to die from heart disease due to a poor diet than by suicide bombers. All it took was a few crazy rednecks to carry out the Oklahoma City bombings. And they didn't need funding from a foreign multi-millionaire to do it. As an Asian-American I am in more danger of getting killed by a bunch of racist punks than I am from foreign terrorists.

If these conditions change I may be perfectly willing to live in a less open society to gain more security. But a few attacks by a group which is now on everyone's radar is not gonna worry me one bit as I live my life.