Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-21-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Pot Odds / Flush Draws

Maybe this makes sense, maybe it doesn't

'm terrible at figuring odds. Let's say the pot is $12 after the flop. My opponent bets all in for $12. So my pot odds are betting $12 to win $24.

If I have a good flush draw (9 outs), then I'm roughly 37% to win and 63% to lose.

So is this a +EV call long term. it would seem to be w/ two cards to come. Correct?

With one card though, this would be a -EV call since I'm only going to be about 18%.

So can I 'price' myself into chasing flush draws after hitting a flop if the pot is the right size - roughly the same size as my stack or my opponent who I want to get all in if I hit?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Pot Odds / Flush Draws

Your correct about the odds. Pot odds being 2 to 1 and your odds to get a flush being slightly better then 2 to 1.
However your not factoring in the fact that your flush wont win everytime you make it. For example if whoever your playing happens to hit a set on the flop and goes all in he has almost the same chance of improving to a full house as you do to get a flush.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:52 AM

True against a set the odds drop down at 3 to 1.

The reason I ask was I was playing in a short handed game where I was sitting a little short ($200) and was covered by the opponent.

He opened for the pot and I re-raised the pot. He called. The pot was $120 going to the flop. I've only got $140 left. There was a flush draw on the board. I lead for the pot and was called. It seemed like a mistake to me, but taking odds into play which I wasn't at the time, he was essentially risking $140 to win $260 after the flop. I didn't much like his call preflop w/ low connectors, but it just made me think.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:19 AM

I only play limit - so this might sound like a dumb question. But don't you have to think about the turn bet as well? OK you get just about the right odds on the flop for the flush draw to come in by the river, but if villain puts another pot size bet in on the turn what do you do? There's only one card to come so you are worse than 4:1, but you are still only getting 2:1 to call.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this makes sense, maybe it doesn't

'm terrible at figuring odds. Let's say the pot is $12 after the flop. My opponent bets all in for $12. So my pot odds are betting $12 to win $24.

If I have a good flush draw (9 outs), then I'm roughly 37% to win and 63% to lose.

So is this a +EV call long term. it would seem to be w/ two cards to come. Correct?

With one card though, this would be a -EV call since I'm only going to be about 18%.

So can I 'price' myself into chasing flush draws after hitting a flop if the pot is the right size - roughly the same size as my stack or my opponent who I want to get all in if I hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

With 2 cards to come you only call here if you or your opponent is all-in. Otherwise, the 80% of the time you miss on the turn you'll have to fold if he bets enough to deny you odds to see the river.

Odds with 2 cards to come are only relevant if there will be no more betting after that.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:31 AM

you don't have to worry about the turn becuase one of the two players is all in, ending the betting.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you don't have to worry about the turn becuase one of the two players is all in

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - didn't see that!