Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: AA line I\'ve never taken before...

Anything but betting the flop here is just guessing. Pre-flop he could put you on a lot of hands including a steal re-raise and he is apt to call with alot more than QQ or KK. Bet the the flop and you can at least make an educated guess. There is no proof here that your behind.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one more comment: When you reraise preflop and get 2-way action you should be betting flop 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this sentiment. Even heads-up, there are times to check depending on the situation. I believe there are very few 100% plays in poker, and most of them revolve around the nuts and the river.

Garland
Old 12-10-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check folding here sucks. I would bet here with any PP I called with PF if I was villain.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-10-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To all those saying "nice hand sir" i have a question:

Are you insane?

Without alot more specific information on villian, i don't just think this is bad. It's terrible....Putting villian on AA - QQ based on the fact that he called your reraise and he's played tight over 300 hands is terrbile. And if he's that tight you should probably be reraising this guy with any 2.

Many people who play very tight preflop are not nearly as tight when it comes to calling raises and reraises. Many get attached to 'good' hands. They think, "I'm playing tight but i'm not going to get pushed around".....This guy could have as little as AK-AQ, or AA-77. And checking the flop is giving him a license to steal (just because he's tight doesn't mean he's not gonna bet his 10-10 to find out where he is).

Granted, this is not an ideal flop but sometimes you just gotta shove some chips in the pot. Close your eyes if necessary, bet the flop, and play poker from there!

[edit] one more comment: When you reraise preflop and get 2-way action you should be betting flop 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more with this sentiment. Just shoving chips in there is bad poker, we make money by proceeding with calculated decisions which utilize the highest ev possible. Sure our decisions may be wrong occassionally but the majority of the time they are right, and this is one of those cases. Sure he COULD have 23o...
Hell most of the time people raise they COULD have 27o, so next time I see a raise im going to push with 73o because im a huge favorite.

Seriously, this is one of the times you take the hit and fold.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check folding here sucks. I would bet here with any PP I called with PF if I was villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check folding here sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice sucks. Only an idiot would call that big of a PF raise with anything lower than QQ.
I see arguments for leading and check/folding... BUT saying check/folding sucks is just retarded.
And I know we play against idiots sometimes but thats not an excuse...
Old 12-10-2005, 09:24 PM

I would bet the flop, I had a villan call my reraise w/QQ from 12 to 50 today with 45s. He hit 3 4's on the flop hence why I know what he had and stated that he had 3 to 1 on this call. Some villans don't understand odds and will call with all types of things.

The tough decision comes if he just calls flat calls the bet, i'm probably ready to dump it now unless i have a good read on the guy.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't disagree more with this sentiment. Just shoving chips in there is bad poker, we make money by proceeding with calculated decisions which utilize the highest ev possible. Sure our decisions may be wrong occassionally but the majority of the time they are right, and this is one of those cases. Sure he COULD have 23o...
Hell most of the time people raise they COULD have 27o, so next time I see a raise im going to push with 73o because im a huge favorite.

Seriously, this is one of the times you take the hit and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i often make bold statements on this forum and then somebody picks apart everything i said and basically puts me in my place....This is NOT one of those times.....Check folding this flop IS horrible. And this is one of the worst counter arguments i have seen.

If we think villian only calls a preflop reraise with only AA, KK and QQ we should reraise him EVERY time.....He's raising 7.83% of his hands (many more than just AA-QQ)....We'll pick up so many pots right? WRONG!!!! The reason we don't do this is because people DO call reraises with other hands. And since we hold 2 aces and theres a king and a queen on the flop, hands like 10-10 and J-J become MUCH more likely. Sets aren't that easy to flop.

And as a general poker rule, it's good to have the initiative. If i had reraised preflop with JJ i would definitely bet the flop (even though i was very likely beaten). Betting out with AA is an absolute no brainer. Garland said this is the first time he's ever done something like this. He'd be well off if he made it his last
Old 12-10-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the flop, I had a villan call my reraise w/QQ from 12 to 50 today with 45s

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
VP$IP = 16.52

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt a villain who plays so few hands will have something like 45s.

Garland
Old 12-10-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe there are very few 100% plays in poker

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this all the time and understand where it comes from....But do Realize that it's wrong!!! We should muck 72o under the gun in a 10-handed limit holdem game 100% of the time. And there are infinite other situations that are just as automatic.