Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: domesticating chimps. why not

There was a local (socal) case earlier in the year where a guy was attacked by two chimps. He was visiting a chimp he raised that was now in a refuge. It was his chimps birthday IIRC. Two other chimps got jealous.

The attacking chimps bit off most if no all his fingers and some toes I believe. The guy suffered multiple savage bites to the groin and they gouged his eyes out.

I guess chimps like biting off fingers in an attempt to permanently mame their foe. The guys own chimp had bitten a ladies thumb off years earlier which is why he went to the refuge.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 PM

I have never really understood why it is such a big deal when a species go exticnt. Unless they are a really cool or useful species, or are imoportant to an ecosystem then who cares. Animals going extinct is natural selection (sometimes human selection too). I have no problem with animal rights activists, but it is stupid when someone cares about one animal more than the other only because its species number is low. Its species is dying because they suck.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its species is dying because they suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the single most stupid statement I have EVER seen on OOT. Congratulations, Sir.

Swede
Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 PM

you know I've been looking for a home. if anyone's willing to share a double, preferably in north kenya, pm me.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:41 PM

Censored,

Chimps are not very nice, period. Look at anyone who works with them for any period of time, odds are very high they are missing some fingers. Chips also like to do things like throw feces at people at spit... all the time. They aren't like dogs in that they are often 2-3 times as strong as an adult human, so it would be difficult to stop a maurading chimp. In terms of training them, they are easily trained to do simple tasks like pushing buttons, when the reward is high and immediate. But censored's dream of armies of chimps performing useful services is not very likely.

It is only wild chimps who are "in danger" of going extinct. Captive chimps actually have somewhat of an overpopulation problem in that they breed rapidly in captivity and there is no where to put them all. Chimps are highly social animals, so it would be difficult to raise a "normal" chimp in isolation. A pretty interesting book called Chimpanzee Politics could be an interesting read from you. I took some classes from the author who's a big wig in the primate research world and it was pretty interesting to me and I bore easily.

"Aragatangs" are milder, but not by much. Also, they are asian, so they have no souls and no one would be interested in them.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:44 PM

does this happen when a chimp is raised alone?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:48 PM

No one has addressed the most important issue here...[censored]'s triumphant return to 2+2. Ban some people. Good to have you back.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one has addressed the most important issue here...[censored]'s triumphant return to 2+2. Ban some people. Good to have you back.

[/ QUOTE ]

ban em all, let [censored] sort em out.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does this happen when a chimp is raised alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

It just happens with chimps period. Part of their life cycle, so say their trainers. Which is one reason why the chimps you do see in movies and t.v. are usually very young. Jane Goodall, and others, have recorded a lot of their violence, too, between tribes and within them.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:22 AM

I believe in one of our human vs. animal type threads it was found that an average adult chimp is on around 5-7x stronger than average adult human. They can be quite tempermental, mix this with extra strong jaw muscles, and the ability to literally rip a person's head off, and they can make a poor choice for domestication.

I remember seeing a video (David Attenborough I believe) in my HS biology class of how chimps hunt. They basically used team work to surround and herd a monkey. Then they all grabbed onto it, and 4 of 5 of them all pulled and came out with a different appendage each. It was gruesome. Not a nice animal to have around.