Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: When to move down

[ QUOTE ]
... I WAS winning 1k a day for the previous 115 dys or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, nice run. Where did all the money go?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:06 AM

Please teach me to hit 10% 10 tabling the 109s.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:07 AM

I dont know enough to say your playing perfect or that you suck right now. But 1000 215's at -5% and 500 109's at -10% SUGGESTS there MAY be a problem.

Taking time off would give you a new outlook, let you see things fresh. Playing less tables would give you more time to notice what is going on, maybe see some situations you can avoid trouble or exploit to your advantage. reviewing when your not playing 10 tables will let you know if you've been missing stuff from being to busy.

I dont suggest those things cause I like to type, cause I don't. I suggest them because they work. One of 3 things are happening here. 1) you are on an epic negative verience run. 2) you ran fantastically good before and never really belonged at the 215's or 109's. 3) something is off in your game that isn't obviose to you.

1 and 2 are the most unlikely. So I am trying to get you to work on 3. You can continue to assume your are playing perfect, and keep moving down if nessesary, or you can at least try the things I'm suggesting and see if anything needs adjusting.

I've been doing this along time, and when i run bad for long periods I ALWAYS re-evalute my game, and I ALWAYS find things I could improve or watch for.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:16 AM

I will go back and look at some hhs to see if I am doing anything dumb and will also play less games...it is hard to go piss when you are in 10 games. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also, it was 15 days, not 115 days....that would be crazy. Anyways, Over 6000 215s, I was at a nice 7% roi ( including the -5% 1000 game set...i'm not one to ignore sertain bad sets of games) and the only reason I changed anything was because I had to get money in a new party account BUT I could only put like 3k in the account each week, so I decided to start small, in the $55s, and work my way up. I told myself when I reached 20k in the account, I would go back to 215s, but this has been a minor setback. It is just really confusing to me how I can run fine for 15 days or so then lose everythinf I touch. Oh well...thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 AM

ok, I am understanding now. I thought the 1000 lossing 215's was just before the trouble at the 109's. 500 games with crappy results at the 109's is very likely just a bad run. I still recommend the same steps though. Anytime i get to the point that i'm saying "what the hell" I drop down in number of games and review just so I can assure myself that it's not me. When I KNOW it's not my play, I can weather the storm with less self-doubt. That lasts till I start doubting that I ever knew how to play, then I generally say [censored] it and go play limit for a while, where it's easy to know if i'm playing right cause there's 40 books on my shelf telling me.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 AM

It might be the Iriecurse. Since I agreed to take part in his ROI studies thingy, I get sucked out constantly. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 05:50 AM

The thing that nobody understands aboout your game is that you play SO much that you have runs that people would never usually have.

You wouldn't have them either if you played less and fewer tables, but this works for you and you make lots of money doing it (but you take big swings in the process because you are likely playing pretty low roi poker).

Unless theres something I don't know like some crazy step 5 run that didn't go well you have a huge bankroll still don't you?

I mean dropping down is so ridiculous that it's not even worth talking about unless things get a lot worse.

Just keep plugging away like you always do and youll start winning tons again soon.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:08 PM

My opinion is that the new time clock makes it close to impossible to play winning poker as high as the $109s with 10 tables.

I have been playing poker for 18 years and have always played fast. At this point in my life, most SNG decisions have been made a million times before and take less than 2 seconds. I would never time out 8+ tabling with the old time clock.

Now, I still almost never time out... but there are a few hands each evening where I don't have enough time to select the perfect raise amount.

If you are a marginal winner, you will become a loser if the time clock affects your decisions. And it has to be affecting you with 10 tables open.

Multi-tabling SNGs is more like speed chess than a video game. It's not about reflexes. It takes a beat to make the right decision. 10 beats will time you out of table 1.

My advice would be to 6-table the 109s for a set of 500 and see where you are. If you are a loser over that set, then your game must have some fundamental leaks in light of your past 1500 games. If you are a healthy winner... then you have likely found your problem.

Irieguy
Old 11-15-2005, 01:16 PM

I totally agree with Irie on this. I recently hit my first bad downswing, and it was after I had "gotten used to" 10-tabling. Some close analysis of my play revealed that I was missing lots of close but profitable pushes and generally had somewhat fallen into just waiting for decent hands around the bubble, which obviously sux0rs. I think I've found that 10 tables is just a little too much, but I don't feel rushed at all playing 8 tables. I only have two 2001FPs, so my right monitor had 6 tables with lots of overlap so I think that that probably hurt my concentration too. Just try scaling back to 8 tables for a bit and maybe post a couple of HHs to make sure you haven't lost the plot.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am losing a lot more hands than I am supposed to, I think, but I see no reason for this luck to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I guess i am just looking for advice about what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i HATE taking days off. I guess I am addicted to the game. I guess I really dont enjoy doing much, and that is obviously a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start working out every morning right after you get up. Find some activity (non-poker related) you like and join a club. Take other measures if necessary. Grinding 10 tables all day, every day and missing out on life just ain't worth it, regardless of what your ROI is. Poker should be a means to enjoy life in a way a real job doesn't allow - it shouldn't be a reason/excuse to avoid/miss out on it.