Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 02:41 AM

Default a WTF? limp min reraise

this hand had me all sorts of confused..

Party $30 rebuy. We're down to about 100 out of 360. Avg stack is around 10k, I have 19k and villian has about 17k. Villian has limped multiple times, but other than that I have not noticed what kind of hands he has showdown or his postflop play. I blame ADD.

My image is solid TAG. I have only shown down good, winning hands.

Blinds are 200/400.

Villian limps UTG+2. Folded to me on the CO w/ AcJc and I raise to 1600.

Villian minraises me to 2800. I really don't know if this means AA or KK or if he's just being donkish.

I call, ready to give up on the hand if I miss..

Flop is K66, two diamonds. No clubs. Villian checks.

Do I bet? Do I just check and give up on the hand? I really could not put villian on a hand.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Re: a WTF? limp min reraise

Very strange. I assume you raised 4xbb in the CO with AJs because you wanted to take it down right there, right? Did you consider a fold when he minraised you preflop?

In any case, if the limp raiser has any of the "traditional" limp raising hands (AK, AA-QQ), he's not going to be especially scared by the flop. Even if he's a donkey limp raising something like 77-JJ/KQ-AQ, I think it'll be rather expensive to try to convince him he's beat on this non-threatening board. I think it's just too likely that he's trying to suck you in here. If you make a play at the pot and lose, you'll be left with an average or below average stack, so I'd probably let this one go and not invest any more since you have such a healthy stack.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:27 AM

my first thought after reading this: villain misclicked. probably meant to call your raise and hit the minraise button instead. i think the check on the flop ("omg! what do i do now?!?") supports this line of reasoning.

but i could be wrong. but like you, i can't think of why you would play ANY hand in this manner. limp reraising is such a show of strength (even if it's a peculiar limp min-reraise) that i don't know who would think that they could follow that by check-raising the flop. unless i flopped the stone-cold nuts or pretty damn close, i'm checking this all the way down ... especially with just AJ and no pair and no draw. if his moves were intentional, you already know you're beat and i just don't see you betting him out of the pot unless he really did just misclick preflop.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very strange. I assume you raised 4xbb in the CO with AJs because you wanted to take it down right there, right? Did you consider a fold when he minraised you preflop?

In any case, if the limp raiser has any of the "traditional" limp raising hands (AK, AA-QQ), he's not going to be especially scared by the flop. Even if he's a donkey limp raising something like 77-JJ/KQ-AQ, I think it'll be rather expensive to try to convince him he's beat on this non-threatening board. I think it's just too likely that he's trying to suck you in here. If you make a play at the pot and lose, you'll be left with an average or below average stack, so I'd probably let this one go and not invest any more since you have such a healthy stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this reasoning.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:46 AM

This check smells like kings full or something similarly hellish. I wouldn't make a play at this pot. Your best hope is that villain misclicked preflop and will check it down to the river. Chop chop.

I really don't know, but taking the hand much farther against a ranom Party Poker player seems like trouble.

[ QUOTE ]

My image is solid TAG. I have only shown down good, winning hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the other ADD-afflicted players at your table are paying attention to how you play? (That's not a sarcastic quip, it's a serious question.)
Old 08-29-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think the other ADD-afflicted players at your table are paying attention to how you play? (That's not a sarcastic quip, it's a serious question.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. I think as a whole most Party players aren't attentive and it's not really easy to tell if they are. I figured i'd throw that information in, just to add it to considering when thinking about the hand.

i thought about mucking preflop, but i was getting pretty good odds to see a flop. of course, if it comes with two clubs, or J high, or A high, it's going to be tricky.

In the actual hand I checked the flop and folded the turn to his 2k bet. It just felt fishy and I felt I'm seeing AA or kings full way too much here.