Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Nano limits to gain table experience?

Hi,

I have a question regarding nano-limits. Please feel free to skip down to the last two paragraphs if you don't have the patience to read the whole thing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I started out to play $.5/$1 limit at PP about a year ago. Since then I've played occasionally, in periods, about 10k hands. I've read HEFAP (a couple of times), TOP (a couple och chapters now and then), SSH (intensivly for a month or so), WLLH (a couple of times). (Which one should be next at my reading list?)

I feel quite comfortable with my preflop play. It's not solid and I know that I have some things to work on, but I think it's quite ok. What I need to work with is my postflop play, to know when to be aggressive and when to back of. I guess I need more table experience to learn that. I also need to improve my hand reading skills (any good links on the subject, good threads in the forum or similiar?).

My overall goal with my poker is to build a bankroll and eventually move my way up to $2/$4 or maybe $3/$6 (using $.5/$1 and $1/$2 as steps on the ladder).

My plan for this winter was to hit the books and the forum to study the game while taking a break from actually playing it. But now my girlfriend has started to play some $0.05/$0.10 and I'm thinking of doing the same. What do you guys think about nano-limit games? I've been playing them now for a couple of days, using my girlfriends account, and they are "better" then I expected. The players are of course way to loose and it's not uncommon that 80%+ sees the flop, but I had expected to see more maniacs than I've done.

My main question with this thread is how valuable nano-limit table experience is when it comes to my overall poker goal?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Nano limits to gain table experience?

I think it would be similar to comparing nursery school with kindergarten and then kindergarten with grade school. You learn a 'basic' in each grade but very few ever get to skip and go right to college. Unless of course you're Dutch Boyd!

Nano games were never on my schedule but I'm sure it's a good place to learn social skills. .25/.50 was my first online experience, then 8K hands at .50/1, now I'm at 1/2 and am looking at 2/4 shortly I hope. And I think it is there in 1/2 you really begin to develop your second level thinking and hand reading skills. Not to say .50/1 isn't good either, but it is a stepping stone.

Hope that helps and good luck to you in the future.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My overall goal with my poker is to build a bankroll and eventually move my way up to $2/$4 or maybe $3/$6 (using $.5/$1 and $1/$2 as steps on the ladder).

My main question with this thread is how valuable nano-limit table experience is when it comes to my overall poker goal?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not going to help you build a bankroll unless you've got a lot of time and a lot of patience. If you've got at least a decent game, yuo can probably start right up at $.50/$1. If you don't have money and want to get it the quick and dirty way, try reading this post. I know there's another one which was also very good, but I can't find it. (Try searching for "Whoring guide" or something like that...)

If you're interested in learning play better, it's up to you and your comfort level. There are probably things to learn at the nanos, but if you're as diligent as you seem to be, you'll pick up most of the useful stuff by diving right in and studying hard.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:34 PM

I must disagree with this post.

It is quite possible to build a bankroll with .05/.10.

Starting with 30 dollars(300 big bets), it can be built up to 150(300 BB at .25/.50) in the course of 2-3 months.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must disagree with this post.

It is quite possible to build a bankroll with .05/.10.

Starting with 30 dollars(300 big bets), it can be built up to 150(300 BB at .25/.50) in the course of 2-3 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this quite surprising. How many tables and how many hours/week would you need to be running to do this?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:08 PM

If you truly do have pre-flop play down, you aren't going to learn very much post flop at the nanos. Maybe how to value bet. I'm not saying there is nothing else to be learned there, but that's basically it. If you can beat .5/1 play there until you can move up. The higher you go, the more post flop play comes in because people will actually start to fold and play trickier against you. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Ummm... I DID IT!!!!!!!

I built my current roll by starting at the .02/.04 games. Moved up to .05/.1. This is where I grinded out a roll for the .25/.5 games (only 150 BBs -- it was what a considered a shot and I was willing to move down if I went on a bad run). So yeah, I got my start at the lowest of the low limits.

Just FYI -- some of us have done it!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read HEFAP (a couple of times), TOP (a couple och chapters now and then), SSH (intensivly for a month or so), WLLH (a couple of times). (Which one should be next at my reading list?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Caro's Poker Tells.

Especially the section on exploiting timing tells.
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Ummm... I DID IT!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Just FYI -- some of us have done it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that it can and has been done. And I acknowledged it in the original post. But there are two requirements which I set forth: time and patience.

How long have you been at your task? How many hours/week do you play? How many tables?

You're apparently at $.25/.50, and our friend here has his sights set on $2/4 or $3/6. So however long you've spent working your way up (including taking a leap of faith and short-cutting your bankroll in the middle), double it. That's about how long it will take him to reach his goal.

You can get the bankroll more quickly through bonus whoring.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Ummm... I DID IT!!!!!!!

Yeah I am actually at .5/1 now. You are right that bonus whoring is the best wat to a roll, staring with $200 and hitting the GRANNY bonus at the .25/.5 tables is what I would recommend.

Yeah it did take a lot of patience.