Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2004, 03:04 AM

Default What\'s your play here?

10+1 no Freezeout.

Tourny started with 256 and is now sown to 39.

The tourny pays the top 20, but the real moeny doesn't happen unless you can make the top five.(1st-$777 20th- $26)

You have an average stack of 7600t, with the chipleader around 25000t.

The blinds are 300/600 with 10 mins left before they increase to 400/800.

You are the big blind and have K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

All fold to chipleader (25000) who is three off the button and comes in for a mini raise preflop of 1200t.All others fold to you.....you call the additional 600t, leaving you with 7000t.

Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Do you:

1)Check and fold to any bet.Live to play another day.

2)Check and call any bet that doesn't take a big chunk of your remaining stack.

3)Push your remaining 7000t all in....the flop probably missed him and you can buy the 2700t pot.If he folds, you'll have 9700t in chips and will move up a few spots closer to the top five spots.

What's your play?

Husker
Old 08-22-2004, 04:05 AM

Default Re: What\'s your play here?

i vote 1). You have none of that, cut your losses and live to fight when you catch a flop and/or have pocket-pairs. As of now you have no hand and no real draw. If you push in, you're dealing with the prospect of him slow-playing a monster.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:48 AM

Much depends on the player. If he's been bullying a lot or can fold it, I might push preflop, since a normal raise to 3000 or whatever pot commits you, and 2k would be a nice addition to your 7k.

Normally tho, I check fold this flop or call a minbet. Yes, its likely he missed catching a 9,7,5, but if he has a 8 or 6 with overcard or just about any suited connector ( 56,67,78,89,9T,TJ then he's getting reasonable odds to call you. That's a lot of hands where a bigstack might take a flyer or be correct. And KJ is not that strong -- after all, what hands are you ahead of that he might raise with? Only a total steal really.

--g
Old 08-22-2004, 05:57 AM

Unless this guy is a total mutt I probably just muck this hand. He is not on the button or CO so a steal is probably not the case. It is probably a mistake to call pre flop at a full table. I suspect even if you hit your hand you might be behind. KJ is an awful hand in this situation.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:59 AM

Ah.....that reminds me.

You've only had a chance to play arond 2.5 orbits with this player because of your last table breaking. The whole table is pretty new to you (20+) hands but the preflop raiser hasn't been out of line so far and seems to be fairly solid.

Thanks for the responses so far. This was a discussion that I had with another poster and I'd like to hear more opinions.

Husker
Old 08-22-2004, 06:19 AM

I can sort of see myself calling the min-raise pre-flop and hoping for a good flop and a double-up, but you're definitely done with it at this point. The only hands he could feasibly raise with that you're ahead of (somewhat) are JQs and KTs. If you push, it's an easily recognizable steal attempt and he can afford to gamble. Especially, like you said, he seems like a solid player who has yet to get out of line. Check/Fold and move on to the next one.

Kirk R.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:31 AM

he is probably not outright stealing with his raise. even if he has an A you are behind and you dont have a lot of chips. i fwould muck here and try to stick around. he easily could have a weak A here and perhaps caught a pair and even if not you are behind, or he could have you drawing dead but there are very few hands here that he can have that are worth the risk.

Pat
Old 08-22-2004, 10:30 AM

I would probably fold on the flop.

Preflop I would reraise allin. Take him allin: don't give a bully with a big stack a chance to play a flop with you. If he is making loose raises and is in late position, you may have the best hand. He may fold if he is stealing. The only hands you are a big dog to are AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AJ, and KQ.

The side benefits of pushing preflop are that it discourages people from stealing your blinds and you get a chance to double up and get a shot at the final table.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you feel this flop hit your opponenet?
Old 08-23-2004, 12:48 PM

It doesn't have to hit your opponent. If the opponent has A-high, he's still way ahead and can bust you right out of the tournament. Calling pre-flop was ballsy but could be justified. Calling post-flop will get you broke every time.

Kirk R.