Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: I don\'t Have a Problem with a Good Person Going to Hell

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that believers (in general) seem completely unperturbed by the notion that many, many millions of good, ethical, loving people will go to hell simply because of a lack of faith in Christ/God?

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

Why would you think this?

Is it the side effect of an atheistic worldview?

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, I am not an Atheist, and I make that point so as not to give all these brilliant Atheists a bad name. Secondly, it doesn't appear to be a false statement to me. If I thought that my deity would punish a very humble, kind, compassionate person simply due to a lack of faith, I might decide that deity wasn't worth a seconds worship.

-g

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me be more clear.

Why do you think a christian would be "unperturbed" about a person going to hell?

I think most christians are very perturbed by this fact.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I thought that my deity would punish a very humble, kind, compassionate person simply due to a lack of faith, I might decide that deity wasn't worth a seconds worship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Foolish, considering the outcome.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I thought that my deity would punish a very humble, kind, compassionate person simply due to a lack of faith, I might decide that deity wasn't worth a seconds worship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Foolish, considering the outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

If what you were saying was true, then anyone under the thumb of a powerful dictator should bow down and grovel at their feet merely in hopes of gaining their disdainful mercy.
Since we both know you don't actually believe that...what did you really mean??
Old 11-15-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that believers (in general) seem completely unperturbed by the notion that many, many millions of good, ethical, loving people will go to hell simply because of a lack of faith in Christ/God?

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

Why would you think this?

Is it the side effect of an atheistic worldview?

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, I am not an Atheist, and I make that point so as not to give all these brilliant Atheists a bad name. Secondly, it doesn't appear to be a false statement to me. If I thought that my deity would punish a very humble, kind, compassionate person simply due to a lack of faith, I might decide that deity wasn't worth a seconds worship.

-g

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me be more clear.

Why do you think a christian would be "unperturbed" about a person going to hell?

I think most christians are very perturbed by this fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and a lot of Germans were "perturbed" by the Nazis. Just not enough to take a stand against it. Now you have a God who is going to punish millions of millions of good people WORSE than what Hitler did to people in the Holocaust. Are you going to bow and submit before that God?
I wouldn't.

-g
Old 11-16-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem with evangelism is not so much the intent, but the fact that it does not respect individuals' autonomy. I believe that I am not going to hell. In fact, I don't even believe in hell. Evangelist John Doe believes that I am going to hell. Who's right? I don't know; both beliefs are equally valid, and therein lies the problem. Where does John Doe's belief become more important in regard to my life than my own belief? Why should my life be unwillingly subjected to his judgment?

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry Scott, I stated things poorly. I shouldn't have said evangelists. What I meant was your family and/or loved ones. I wasn't talking about Reverend John Doe. I just don't get the non-chalant Christian mother telling her son "oh, you're going to hell, but I'm not so Oh Well". I don't believe in hell either, but if I did I would at least show some concern about my family going to the "Pit of burning oil and eternal pain". I'm just saying that I have patience for my mother's preaching, I wasn't talking about Reverend Lovejoy trying to convert the "Heathen" tribesmen.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can a finite sin or merit deserve infinite punishment or reward?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great question. The finite sin was committed against an infinitly righteous God therefore deserving infinite punishment.

As to the merit side. Our merit is not what warrants infinite reward. It is the infinite merit/righteousness of the son of God that we receive at the moment of our conversion by grace through faith in Jesus Christ that gives us the inheritance of eternal life.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your premise is faulty. God is just. "Good, ethical, loving people" do not go to hell. In fact no one is good, ethical and loving according to Scripture.

(Rom 3:10) as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one;
(Rom 3:11) no one understands; no one seeks for God.
(Rom 3:12) All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one."

(Rom 3:23) for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Jesus Christ is the only truly good and loving man who ever existed. When we repent of our sin and put our faith in Christ, his righteousness is reckoned to our account. We are counted righteous only then.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:36 AM

Ah, the cult of Saul of Tarsus.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your premise is faulty. God is just. "Good, ethical, loving people" do not go to hell. In fact no one is good, ethical and loving according to Scripture.

(Rom 3:10) as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one;
(Rom 3:11) no one understands; no one seeks for God.
(Rom 3:12) All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one."

(Rom 3:23) for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Jesus Christ is the only truly good and loving man who ever existed. When we repent of our sin and put our faith in Christ, his righteousness is reckoned to our account. We are counted righteous only then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say, by that account I guess it makes some sense. We are all total shite in the Lord's eyes, except for Jesus. Figures God favors his only son much like a baseball coach playing favorites with his little league progeny.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Figures God favors his only son much like a baseball coach playing favorites with his little league progeny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the best analogy for a couple of reasons. Unlike the son of a baseball coach, the son of God truly merits the favor of his father. Also, those who believe in the son are adopted by the father and share in his inheritance.