Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Default I reraise all-in with A9... good move?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) converter

UTG (t1735)
MP (t1620)
CO (t1715)
<font color="#C00000">Button (t1355)</font>
SB (t470)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1105)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, I push.

I think the button doesn't have a hand, he just wants the blinds. I think he'd raise more with a real hand. $30+$3 btw.

Now, I got called by QJo and lost. My questions:
1) Would you push here?
2) Would you push if you knew he had QJo?
3) What's the name of that program again which calculates how +/- EV a move is? That would help me here right? I'm still new to SnG's and I don't know much about what the right moves are on the bubble. I was shocked when I read that you should fold AKo if a tight player pushes before you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: I reraise all-in with A9... good move?

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) converter

UTG (t1735)
MP (t1620)
CO (t1715)
<font color="#C00000">Button (t1355)</font>
SB (t470)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1105)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, I push.

I think the button doesn't have a hand, he just wants the blinds. I think he'd raise more with a real hand. $30+$3 btw.

Now, I got called by QJo and lost. My questions:
1) Would you push here?
2) Would you push if you knew he had QJo?
3) What's the name of that program again which calculates how +/- EV a move is? That would help me here right? I'm still new to SnG's and I don't know much about what the right moves are on the bubble. I was shocked when I read that you should fold AKo if a tight player pushes before you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called a resteal. No, I wouldnt mind a call too much b/c of chip stacks. Remember, if an opponent makes a mistake against you, its to your own benefit.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, if an opponent makes a mistake against you, its to your own benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure you know this, but it's not always true in a stt. e.g., stacks are 1k, 3k, 3k, 3k, and you (3k) push into a 3k with AK against his 22. it's a mistake by him to call but it hurts you both.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember, if an opponent makes a mistake against you, its to your own benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure you know this, but it's not always true in a stt. e.g., stacks are 1k, 3k, 3k, 3k, and you (3k) push into a 3k with AK against his 22. it's a mistake by him to call but it hurts you both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thats true, but for the most part, you want your opponents to make mistakes against you. With the OP's example, if he was able to see his opponent's cards face up, he should always repush all in with hands that are stonger than QJ.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:47 PM

if knows he's getting called, he should fold a9. you wouldn't call a push there as a 55-45, would you?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if knows he's getting called, he should fold a9. you wouldn't call a push there as a 55-45, would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing that my ITM percentage is about 39%, and this would probably put me ITM about 50% of the time, I think I have a pretty easy decision. The only time it would be right to fold this is if you think you will have a more +EV situation come bubble time.

Btw, its more like 57-43 (56.88 - 43.12)
Old 08-29-2005, 06:52 PM

http://www.twodimes.net/poker/

The program you were referencing?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing that my ITM percentage is about 39%, and this would probably put me ITM about 50% of the time, I think I have a pretty easy decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, i haven't looked closely at this hand in particular, but you could easily imagine one where what i'm saying makes sense.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing that my ITM percentage is about 39%, and this would probably put me ITM about 50% of the time, I think I have a pretty easy decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, i haven't looked closely at this hand in particular, but you could easily imagine one where what i'm saying makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what you are saying does make sense. I just dont think in this particular EXAMPLE, with the chip stacks as they are, does it apply, unless your opponents are ridiculously tight or ridiculously loose come bubble time.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:03 PM

I don't push as a resteal. I push because I think I have the best hand and think I will get called by a worse one.