Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Set agains possible flush draw

No reads, I've just been transfered to this table and it is my second hand there.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t945)
MP2 (t875)
MP3 (t635)
CO (t1360)
Button (t1590)
SB (t920)
BB (t1495)
UTG (t3755)
UTG+1 (t2175)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t70, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t60.

Flop: (t260) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, SB calls t100, UTG folds.

Turn: (t460) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, SB calls t150.

River: (t760) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t760

Did I play this to weakly (especially on the turn, giving him 3-to-1?)?

Regards,
Fredrik Johansson
Old 06-29-2005, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Set agains possible flush draw

mostly with blinds this low I limp w/ TT in all but late position to avoid some tricky postflop stuff, but raising is ok too.

flop is good. with the flush draw i might bet 125-150 but that's nitpicking.

i really hate the turn here. if he's drawing you need to charge him. i bet at least 300 here. also he will most likely pay you off if he picked up an ace.

river is playing very scared. he could still have just a T here since you bet so low he had no problem calling down. I would fire a value bet -- probably about 1/2 the pot. if he pushes, you're committed and you'd have to call.

also note that most players bet out their flush on the river because they're scared you will check behind, so I feel the flush is less likely.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Set agains possible flush draw

With the blinds this low, I like betting a little more preflop, 120 maybe..

Bet a little bit more on the flop, 150-200 range.

Those are nitpicks, but most important change... All in after the turn.

I always advocate moving all in on the turn when you have A) You have a big hand like this, B) It's vulnerable to a draw,.. They won't (usually) call all their chips off with a draw with 1 card to go, but they might with 2!

"Milk" plays are recipes for disaster. Push on the turn.
If he has A-x, (which he will more than 50% of the time in a scenario like this), you probably own him and he'll call off the rest of his chips.. 150 was way too weak..

If he has a flush draw, he's not going to pay you off on the river if he misses, and he's going to crush you if he hits!

All-in on the turn!