Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Foxwoods WPT

Some strange poker. After playing very well, Hoyt started going in all-in mode every hand, which must have been incredibly -EV as the stacks were quite large in relation to the blinds. At least that's how it appeared to me. It wasn't clear to me how large the pots were pre-flop. Anyway his opponent just about caught up with him when he called in 83 all-in with a pair of 4's.

Later on Hoyt went all-in with just a pair of Kings and the other guy had two pair, Kings and 8's or something like that. There was a flush possible. For some reason he decided Hoyt must have had him beat. I guess it was because Hoyt was going all-in all the time. And then he showed the laydown. That laydown, especially showing it, must be one of the all time worst plays in WPT history.

The looks of Daniel N. and Ted Forrest were classic. They looked like they had just smelled a dead skunk when they saw what the guy had thrown away.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods WPT

[ QUOTE ]
Some strange poker. After playing very well, Hoyt started going in all-in mode every hand, which must have been incredibly -EV as the stacks were quite large in relation to the blinds. At least that's how it appeared to me. It wasn't clear to me how large the pots were pre-flop. Anyway his opponent just about caught up with him when he called in 83 all-in with a pair of 4's.

Later on Hoyt went all-in with just a pair of Kings and the other guy had two pair, Kings and 8's or something like that. There was a flush possible. For some reason he decided Hoyt must have had him beat. I guess it was because Hoyt was going all-in all the time. And then he showed the laydown. That laydown, especially showing it, must be one of the all time worst plays in WPT history.

The looks of Daniel N. and Ted Forrest were classic. They looked like they had just smelled a dead skunk when they saw what the guy had thrown away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The two pair laydown is the worst play I've ever seen on WPT.

Not far behind is the mostly even-stacked, immediate, no-thought-whatsoever call with Q3s or whatever the heck he had against Hoyt's A9. I mean, if Hoyt's putting it all on the line every other hand, can't you wait for something just a little better than Qx?

Ibrahim did not impress me at all. It doesn't surprise me that he got most of his chips before that (that they showed) on suckouts.

eastbay
Old 06-28-2004, 02:55 AM

That two pair laydown was just god awful. I still can't believe it after watching...to be honest, Hoyt had a bigger hand than I would have expected to see after I would have called.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:24 PM

I wasn't impressed by Hoyt's play at the end either. Certainly against a fish he would be better off prolonging the action and outplaying him rather than making it a coin flip. Going all-in and gambling is what the clueless guy should be doing.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't impressed by Hoyt's play at the end either. Certainly against a fish he would be better off prolonging the action and outplaying him rather than making it a coin flip. Going all-in and gambling is what the clueless guy should be doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been trying to figure out if there's any method to that madness. Against a player who refuses to loosen up, all-in every hand is a pretty darn good strategy with sizable blinds.

But the blinds were not huge, and Ibrahim was clearly capable of loosening up.

Were there reads involved somehow? Or was it just a weird gambling strategy that just wasn't very good? I'm not sure.

eastbay
Old 06-29-2004, 08:12 AM

I dont think Id have folded, but the way the hand played out he could have been beat. Ibraham checked, Hoyt bet, Ibraham raised, Hoyt reraised all in..... not the usual way Hoyt was going all in. Ibraham already said I have a big hand and Hoyt said mine is bigger........

I think the worst play was the John Juanda last year when Whoever (maybe Hanson) bet, he raised BIG with AJ off other guy went all in and he called..... it seemed like John was saying I give up, I cant make a good read.

I love Phil Hellmouth's whining, 3 times he gives a free card --3 times he gets burned--- 3 times he cries [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Big question!! </font>
<font color="red"> I was watching the FW event for the first time yesterday and when they got heads up on the end, Hoyt goes all in and Ibraham calls with AJ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and doubles up, putting them about even at 1,500,000 each. The very next hand they show is Ibraham going all in for 340,000. Did Tivo miss something or did the WPT?? That REALLY pissed me off [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] </font>
Old 06-29-2004, 10:33 AM

The WPT missed something.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:39 AM

I think it was poor strategy on Hoyt's part. I think he figured he could gamble with the guy to try to take him out, and if the guy caught up he could go back to his A game, but that's a risky strategy.

I think he got very lucky when he went all-in. I think he thought he had the best hand, not that he was trying to bluff the guy, and there being a flush possibility plus the guy being clueless saved him.

Not to disrespect him though. I think Hoyt's a fine player. He outplayed Gus in an even this season, but Gus got lucky.

It's fun to watch the good players play.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:02 AM

Don't you guys know that the WPT edits the storyline to make it more "interesting"? You don't see every hand, and Hoyt wasn't going all in on every hand. It's just what they wanted you to think.

Same thing in the episode w/ Paul Phillips and Dewey Tomko.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:14 AM

Of course its edited, but who the F*&amp;$#$@ is the editor who cut out the hands where they went from even chipped to Hoyt being a 8-1 favorite?? Thats F*&amp;$%ed up!