Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 07:22 PM

Default A question for those with a good knowledge of SSHE

I've heard so many endorsements for SSHE. Even though it is a limit book I am wondering if reading it will have a positive effect on my game even though my current focus is on no limit hold'em cash games and tournaments (live an internet)? Is there enough theoretical content that would apply to both forms of hold'em or is SSHE more about technical applications in limit only? I will read it sooner or later but I'm concentrating on learning NL right now before I go back to the limit tables. I value your opinions.....
Old 11-30-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: A question for those with a good knowledge of SSHE

Well, it's much more about limit, but concepts like protecting your hand, not folding big pots for relatively small bets, etc, would all be valid.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:38 PM

Also, what would help your NL game the most would be to learn limit first.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:58 AM

I learned limit, played limit, won at limit and am now focusing on no limit. I just haven't read Ed Miller's book yet. I don't know why you assume I haven't played limit holdem or why your response has nothing to do with my question, but hey, thanks for posting....
Old 12-01-2005, 05:37 AM

In my opinion: great book (a classic really), but "limited" [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] in terms of helping your NL game. I'd look elsewhere if you are only interested in NL.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I learned limit, played limit, won at limit and am now focusing on no limit. I just haven't read Ed Miller's book yet. I don't know why you assume I haven't played limit holdem or why your response has nothing to do with my question, but hey, thanks for posting....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't read Ed's book yet, how can you have possibly won at limit? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously though, if you are just focusing on NL for now, you are probably better sticking with NL material. SSH does have some general poker concepts in the early section of the book such as pot odds and pot equity etc. (which i'm sure you've already read). but the rest of the book deals with limit hold'em, including the hand examples.

As you say however, it is worth getting around to reading it at some point.

PJS
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 AM

I learned to play limit before getting heavy into NL, but I can see the theories and concepts carry forward into NL play very easily. The book is very clear about when you should choose certain actions and explains why you make these choices very clearly. It explains the various reasons for different moves, such as when to raise for value, when to raise to limit the field and when to raise as a bluff. Ed also goes into great detail about why you make these moves which is where I feel many other titles and authors fall short. It is one of the best poker titles I've read to date - and I'm fairly well read. It can definitely help your NL game. You just need to have the ability to understand the concepts presented in the book and apply them to the game you're playing.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:30 PM

SSHE concentrates on low limit hold em and is certainly an excellent limit hold em book for beginners to intermediate players.

However, unless you have already read the NL books available, the HOH books vols 1 & 2 are excellent for NL play.

Also there is Pot limit and NL Poker by Ciaffone & Ruebben, and Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky, which would probably be more helpful to your NL play.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:02 PM

I'd like to thank you all for responding. You were correct in all your NL book recommendations. They are all very good as I have them all. I will get around to SSHE and back into some limit play when I feel a little more comfortable playing NL. And PL Omaha. And 7 card stud. Then I can think about H/L games to really make my brain sizzle.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:29 AM

I wouldn't play NL without having read SSHE and HOH V1.