Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 AM

Default If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

Say, as a % of those who watch the superbowl. Assume WC final is on @ peak hours.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

[ QUOTE ]
Say, as a % of those who watch the superbowl. Assume WC final is on @ peak hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a % of those who watch the Super Bowl? That's a tough comparable. But I'd say 70%.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

I wish more Americans would embrace World Cup Soccer. I cannot wait for things to get underway in Germany. There is so much pride on the line, country vs country (compared to the somewhat boring in my opinion, olympics). The ultimate battle of nations is the World Cup. Hopefully, the US can continue to improve their showing in the World Cup.

Folks do yourself a favor and watch the World Cup.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish more Americans would embrace World Cup Soccer. I cannot wait for things to get underway in Germany. There is so much pride on the line, country vs country (compared to the somewhat boring in my opinion, olympics). The ultimate battle of nations is the World Cup. Hopefully, the US can continue to improve their showing in the World Cup.

Folks do yourself a favor and watch the World Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

We ruled last time. Don't forget that. We have scoreboard on a LOT of countries.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:07 AM

I think there would be quite a bit of interest here if we made it to the WC. Interest in soccer would die down shortly after, though.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:12 AM

I just looked up some numbers.

86.1 million people watched last year's Super Bowl.

3.8 million watched the US vs Germany quarterfinal in 2002.

Now, be aware that it was 7:30 AM Eastern Time and 4:30 AM Pacific Time for the match, so it was very early and half the country wasn't even awake yet.

If it were in prime time, and the Finals instead of the Quarterfinals, I'd now guess we get to 40 million instead of my first guess of 56 million. So 50% of the super bowl audience.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:14 AM

I was one of those 3.8 mil. US played a pretty good game, could have won it.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was one of those 3.8 mil. US played a pretty good game, could have won it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We played maybe our best game ever, and definitely *should* have won it. We owned them and just got unlucky.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:17 AM

How many watched the Womens World Cup back in 2000? It will be more than that.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there would be quite a bit of interest here if we made it to the WC. Interest in soccer would die down shortly after, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the fact that you don't even know that the US is *in* the WC, I'm a little dubious about your statement.