Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 12:06 AM

Default keys to consistent, long term winning..

what would you guys say in general are your keys to becoming/staying a long term consistent winner at the higher limits...
Old 09-10-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: keys to consistent, long term winning..

The same at any other limit: Playing better than the competition, tilting less than the competition, and playing as much as you can without sacrificing the first two.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:21 AM

well put.. anybody else have some words of wisdom...
Old 09-10-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well put.. anybody else have some words of wisdom...

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping a passion for the game so you keep learning. This is the hardes thing Ive found to do though.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:08 AM

Two or three close friends who you can discuss hands with over a beer, watching football, or whatever. Also, it's great if these friends have no qualms about critizing your play and vice versa. My two poker buddies plug my leaks way before I ever could have on my own, and vice versa, and we're a lot richer for it.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The same at any other limit: Playing better than the competition, tilting less than the competition, and playing as much as you can without sacrificing the first two.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD, no joke.

- Jags
Old 09-10-2005, 03:36 AM

Great question!
I would say some of the most important "keys" to being sucessful at high limits (and at all limits in general) are discipline, patience, and the ability to adapt to your opponent's/the game's style (exploiting their mistakes for max profit).
Also the more you can emotionally detach yourself from the $$$ and the results, the better you will do, and the easier time you'll have coping with the mental aspects of the game.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:44 AM

The most important skill in any poker game, high limit holdem included, is discipline, both with your bankroll and your playing skills. A lot of people who probably have the poker ability to beat the 30/60 game struggle to grind out 1BB/hr at 1/2 because they refuse to apply the poker skills they have at all times. You've also got to be prepared to move down limits if your bankroll requires it..

..I've read lots of articles that say that 200x BB at the limit you wish to play is enough to nullify variance if you are a winning player. This might be correct if you have a big edge over your opponents, but it stands to reason that if you are a 3 BB/hr player you will not need nearly as big a bankroll as a 1 BB/hr player. Since it also stands to reason that you will be less of a winner the tougher your competition is, you must be prepared to impose even stricter bankroll limitations on yourself (and of course stick to them).

This is the real challenge of poker.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what would you guys say in general are your keys to becoming/staying a long term consistent winner at the higher limits...

[/ QUOTE ]

As I move up I've found a key skill is to play the table you sitting at. At lower limits most tables seem to play very similarly. As I've moved up I'll find myself at tables with very different characters. 4 tabling with 1 each of LP, LA, TA, TP tables can be demanding.

Also, disquising play becomes incrementally more important. Competition is generally better and I find myself playing with a lot of regulars.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:29 PM

Become friends with long term winning players who play better than you.

Stay open-minded, live a well-rounded life so that poker is never the most important thing in your life.

Read, practice, read, practice, read, practice.

Enjoy playing the game well, play a small # of tables so you can focus on why your taking a particular strategy, so you understand why one strategy is proper and another is not.

Move up in stakes when you can afford to do so. The only way to improve is to play with better competition.

Set reasonable goals.

Don't get discouraged when things don't go well.

Train yourself not to tilt, or semi-tilt, ever.

TSP