Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Sending Table Image

i was playing SNG's on UB the other day and i was using my usual strategy of trying to portray the imgae of a loose aggressive player to the table (i am neither an overly loose or overly tight player, i try to stay pretty solid and change gears at the end of a game). i show weak hands most of the time when i take down a small pot and then play the hand exactly the same when i have a monster, hoping my opponents were paying attention last time (okay not a very advanced strategy...but effective at the $10 sng level i play at)
So i make it heads up and the guy is sure that im a loose player after i showed a couple crap hands when i stole blinds while three handed. Eventually i get AQs on the button and play it just as i played my 52os (which i had just flipped over last hand). I raise he reraises all in instantly and i call knowing that i have the best hand simply because of the table image i have portrayed to him. He flips over K7s and i know my strategy has worked just as it is supposed to. However he manages to flop a K and double up and i cant help but think that if we didnt have all the chips in preflop there i never wouldve double him up.
What im asking is.. while i goated him into coming over the top for all his chips with the worst hand should i continue to use this strategy constantly giving my opponents live cards. Obviously win or lose i am satisfied that i got all my chips in with the best hand, but if i feel i can outplay this guy after the flop heads up, then should i try and play a big pot where im a marginal favorite or is it smarter to use strong post flop play and take as many small to average sized pots as possible.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Sending Table Image

Generally by the time a SnG is heads up the blinds are such that you don't have enough chips to really outplay anyone postflop.

Besides, to do what you are suggesting would require that you stop showing trash to try to encourage looser calls later since when you employ this strategy your opponent will often come over the top when he thinks he has the best of it. Now to avoid this you can just stop raising preflop, but stealing blinds and not allowing trash hands to hit big is much more important than worrying about getting sucked out on for a few extra chips.