Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: We need a new word for \"gambling\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is also betting on random events (the outcome of the cards)

[/ QUOTE ]

spectacularly wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Spectacularly wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is both a game of gambling (read: luck) AND a game of skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

also wrong

poker is a game of skill

[/ QUOTE ]

To deny the existance of luck in poker is absurd.

[ QUOTE ]
gambling used to mean the playing of games of chance which obviously means poker wasnt gambling

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, absurd.

[ QUOTE ]
as often happens the meaning of the word has changed over time - by popular definition it now means wagering on the outcome of an event

[/ QUOTE ]

It has and always will mean exactly that.

[ QUOTE ]
if your having trouble explaining it to your girlfriend i reccomend buying her something expensive and telling her you won the money to pay for it playing poker

[/ QUOTE ]

This, I agree with.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is also betting on random events (the outcome of the cards)

[/ QUOTE ]

spectacularly wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Spectacularly wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

when i cap my open ended straight flush draw on the flop 3 handed its because i know the frequency with which i will hit means i'm getting value for my money - this works for me so either i can predict the outcome of random events or its not random

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is both a game of gambling (read: luck) AND a game of skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

also wrong

poker is a game of skill

[/ QUOTE ]

To deny the existance of luck in poker is absurd

[/ QUOTE ]

i confess that i would like to deny the existence of luck but i cant - to say that poker is a game of luck is like identifying a specific pope as the one who always wears a beanie - the pope always wears a beanie - it is a tautology - what your trying to do is describe what sort of game it is - poker is a game of skill

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gambling used to mean the playing of games of chance which obviously means poker wasnt gambling

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, absurd

[/ QUOTE ]

if you read my post you would appreciate that i agree that poker is gambling - i am certain however that the word gamble was once specifically meant to refer to the playing of games of chance - i cant be arsed doing the research on the issue that i did about 7 years ago to successfully demonstrate this in a court room but i can tell you that my oxford dictionary still gives precisely that definition (and others) to the word

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as often happens the meaning of the word has changed over time - by popular definition it now means wagering on the outcome of an event

[/ QUOTE ]

It has and always will mean exactly that

[/ QUOTE ]

like i said above it hasnt always meant that

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if your having trouble explaining it to your girlfriend i reccomend buying her something expensive and telling her you won the money to pay for it playing poker

[/ QUOTE ]

This, I agree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant no slight to girlfriends or girls in this reply - i've been hanging out with an outrageously smart girl for the last 15 years and she doesnt get the difference between roulette and poker but she does remain conspicuously quiet about it since i bought her a big rock

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 08-28-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this works for me so either i can predict the outcome of random events or its not random

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I can predict the frequency that I will wake up (pretty much every single day), however I cannot predict the exact time I will wake up. You are confusing long term probability with short term results. You are gambling when playing poker so get over yourself.