Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 12:55 PM

Default TT fold preflop?

The game is a live ring game w/ about 8 players. blinds are 0.50/$1. I am in the CO w/ TT. We are still in the first orbit with a lot of new faces but I know from some previous experience that there is a mix of sharks and fish at the table, I just don't know who is who yet.

UTG (+0 or +1) raises about $3 and MP (1 or 2) reraises making it $6 to go. Stacks range from $20-$40 w/ mine at $18.50. I fold. Am I chicken sh*t?

Thanks,

PSW
Old 01-05-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: TT fold preflop?

Well, there's certainly a chance you have the best hand, but I'd say that best case scenario you are a coinflip. You don't have any money invested in the pot, so there's nothing wrong with folding here. If you are going to play with that short stack though, I'd probably push and hope that a higher PP isn't out.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 PM

considering that it is your 1st orbit -- i'd myself would probably lay this down until i have better reads on the players. with a raise and re-raise in front of you- you should consider that at BEST you are slight favorite against AK AQ AJ AT and are dominated by AA KK QQ JJ ... all of which are very likely holdings in front of you. to not commit approx 33% of your stack in a situation where you are at best near even or at worst dominated is not a 'wussy' play but probably the correct play. all IMO
Old 01-05-2005, 04:48 PM

Fold. UTG may well re-raise and then how do you feel about TT?

Ken
Old 01-05-2005, 05:00 PM

I think calling is the worst thing you could do here since it is about 1/3 of your stack and as stated you could face a reraise. Even if you don't you'll be scared to bet out on the flop if any of the overcards fall. So basically you'd be hoping it was 1 of the 8 times you flop a set for over 30% of your stack.

So I would say a fold is a good move.

A push could work too, as you could win the pot right there or luck out if no-one has a pair and it holds up, or you suck out. Is there a max buy-in? It looks like you probably bought in for 20 and lost your blinds. If you have more money to rebuy with and aren't worried about losing early on then a push can be a good image move for later in the game. I sometimes make questionable moves in my home games early and rebuy and build up later when I have cards to back up a move.