Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Another FF question - keeper league

After winning the championship last year, my team has fallen on hard times this year and is 0-7. Being that it is a keeper league, I am looking for some free agents that I can pick up this year, that may turn out to be key players in the future. In my league, you can keep anybody you draft in rounds 4-15 in the same spot in the next year. After that, to keep them they move up three rounds. You cannot keep players drafted in the first three rounds.

For example, I drafted Larry Johnson last year in the 15th round. This year I kept him and lost my 15th round pick. Next year, I will keep him and lose my 12th round pick.

Anyway, I have been trying to make some trades and free agent acquisitions to benefit next year. Here is my current roster, and what round I will be able to keep them in next year (please try not to laugh):

Culpepper - can't keep
A. Green - can't keep
F. Taylor - Can't keep
C. Rogers - 4th
Baltimore - 4th
B. Edwards - 6th
D. Carr - 7th
Reggie Williams - 8th
Marcus Robinson - 9th
A. Vinatieri - 10th
B. Volek - 11th
L. Johnson - 12th
M. Morris - 12th
T. Taylor - 15th
R. Ferguson - 15th

This is a 12 team league, so the talent is not very deep. Anyway, I am going to cut A. Green since he is out for the season, and am looking for a free agent to pick up that will be beneficial for next year. Anybody have any good choices?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Another FF question - keeper league

Maybe:

RB: Frank Gore
WR: Matt Jones
WR: Mike Williams
Old 10-28-2005, 11:44 AM

Williams and Jones were both drafted. I actually drafted Gore in the 11th round and then cut him to pick up Ferguson whenever Javon Walker got hurt. Maybe I should pick him up again.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Williams and Jones were both drafted. I actually drafted Gore in the 11th round and then cut him to pick up Ferguson whenever Javon Walker got hurt. Maybe I should pick him up again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. These guys were also probably drafted or have been picked up but maybe not:

RB: JJ Arrington
WR: Braylon Edwards
WR: Jabar Gaffney
Old 10-28-2005, 01:49 PM

Arrington went in 3rd round. Edwards is the same B. Edwards that I have on my team in the 6th round. Not sure about Gaffney, will have to look into that.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:38 PM

I really like the concept of your league. I could never get my league to do it, but I REALLY like the idea.

So, your challenge is to get guys that would not only be valuable next year, but are also worth that slot of the draft. That's the problem for someone like Braylon Edwards. Will he even be worth a 6th round pick next year? And a 3rd after that? It's hard to say.

I'd certainly grab Gore again. I'd also try to target a guy like Cedric Benson, who may have been a 4th-6th round pick. By next year, he should have a good shot at starting, so he'd be worth that draft slot. Pounce on the owner who is frustrated with him at this point.

Chester Taylor for Baltimore is another good target, if he's not on a roster. I think he's shaping up to be next year's Lamont Jordan.

And considering he was likely drafted late, as someone's backup, I'd do whatever you can to get Eli Manning.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:53 PM

This would be easier to do if you could give us a list of the top 20-30 free agents available.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After winning the championship last year, my team has fallen on hard times this year and is 0-7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I saw your list of players, after reading this, I was immediately like Culpepper is your QB huh? lol