Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 12:23 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: pokertracker numbers that everyone uses

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with DrSavage. The postflop aggression number can be very misleading. It really is not a good measure of aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

it definitely is if you start to figure out it changes with VPIP. a 60/x/1 is aggressive, while a 20/x/1 is passive. I agree though that it's missing a lot. AF doesn't tell you whether he pushes his draws hard or will overplay top pair
Old 08-10-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I understood better the correlation between WtSD and VPIP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Between hands, I look at other players' stats and observe trends.

One obvious trend is that CSD=(WtSD*W$SD) varies inversely with VPIP. Players with high VPIP have lower CSDs because their average post flop hand strength is lower as they add more hands pre flop. The relationship between VPIP and CSD is analogous to the relationship between AF and VPIP.

I hypothesize that AFs and CSDs across different VPIPs using a constant multiplier K.

Example:

Player A has VPIP[A] 40 and AF[A] 2.

Player B has VPIP[B] 20.

Consider the ratio of the VPIPs multiplied by K:

<ul type="square">K*VPIP(A)/VPIP(B)=2K[/list]My hypothesis is that if player B was as "aggressive" post flop as Player A, then

<ul type="square">AF[B]=AF[A]*(2K)[/list]I hope that makes sense. I haven't tested my hypothesis, but it is a start. I estimate that K~4/5.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A few days ago I played in a six-handed where to my immediate left was a 85/20/2.5 and to his left was a 90/60/4. Everyone else was now playing screwed down or trapping since they knew 90/60/4 would auto-raise and cap.

I should have got up

[/ QUOTE ]

Seat change! You should have put these players on your right.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was online so seat changing is just about impossible. But even if I could, I found that the two to my left where doing so much auto betting and raising (pre flop and post flop) that it was better to see what the other three players would do. If they limped you knew they were strong because they knew that it would be costly to see the next street.

Post flop you usually let the above two bet your good hands for you.

~ Rick
Old 08-10-2005, 03:00 PM

are you really asking if VPIP tells people anything?

i use the standard VPIP/PFR, they converge quickly and probably pack the most info of any PT stats. i like seeing aggression broken down for each street postflop, so i use total aggression along with AF, AT, AR. i like seeing what people are doing in steal situations, so i look at how often they defend in the bb, and also how often they open in steal situations. a really low defense number can identify some easy targets. one last thing i look at is check-raise % which along with aggression numbers help with deciding when to bet the turn and when to take a free card.

i use other stats too, but rarely look at them.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 PM

too funny
Old 08-10-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with DrSavage. The postflop aggression number can be very misleading. It really is not a good measure of aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

it definitely is if you start to figure out it changes with VPIP. a 60/x/1 is aggressive, while a 20/x/1 is passive. I agree though that it's missing a lot. AF doesn't tell you whether he pushes his draws hard or will overplay top pair

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very good point. That explains why these loose players will low aggression factors bluff so much.

But still a stat is not very usefull if its interpretation depends on some other stat. Maybe we could come up with a better aggression measure.

The aggression factor is computed by (bet%+raise%)/Call%. I think it would be much more useful if we could get the numerator and denominator as seperate stats. That would be much easier to interpret.