Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Have biblical theists discoverd any observable absolute truths?

Notready brought to my attention that a core belief of Christianity is that the universe is made of absolute laws. This, also, obviously includes absolute morals. In fact, if i'm not mistaken, i believe this is one of the fundamental reasons Notready is confident in his beliefs. Without absolutes, the world appears nonsensical to him. I'm curious , though, what kind of success have any theistic scholars had in uncovering an observable absolute law? If the bible is such a brilliant guide to the absolute truths of the cosmos, you'd expect the book to uncover at least one that is observable! Before anyone attempts to answer this question, i suggest only offering suggestions that meet the following criteria:

What it takes for something to be a absolute or physical law:

(from wikipedia.com)

* true. By definition, there have never been repeatable contradicting observations.
* universal. They appear to apply everywhere in the universe. (Davies)
* absolute. Nothing in the universe appears to affect them. (Davies)
* eternal. Unchanged since first discovered (although they may have been shown to be approximations of more accurate laws—see "Laws as approximations" below), they appear to be unchanged since the beginning of the universe. It is thus presumed that they will remain unchanged in the future. (Davies)
* omnipotent. Everything in the universe apparently must comply with them. (Davies)
* "omniscient" (loosely speaking). The behavior of everything in the universe is automatically and immediately "known" to the laws. (Davies)
* generally conservative of quantity. (Feynman)
* often examples of symmetry. (Feynman)
* simple. They are typically expressed in simple terms. (Davies)
Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Have biblical theists discoverd any observable absolute truths?

[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious , though, what kind of success have any theistic scholars had in uncovering an observable absolute law?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe absolute laws exist in an impersonal, independent way. God is Absolute Person and in one sense can't really be separated from His Word, or Law. It makes no sense to speak of an observable, absolute law in an empirical, scientific way. All natural laws are wholly dependent on God and I don't think can be called absolute, as the entire creation is contingent. Moral law from God is absolute and can be observed in the Bible, but can neither be observed per se in the universe nor derived by autonomous human reason.

One of my pet peeves with Kant was his question in the introduction to Pure Reason, "How are a priori synthetic judgments possible?", where a priori is defined as universal and necessary. Kant forgot to ask and answer the question "Are such judgments possible for a finite creature?", and even another question, "How can we know any such judgment IS valid?".
Old 09-27-2005, 02:37 PM

Zygote, without accepting that the standards for a true physical law are the same as those for a true moral one, I think that it is evident that slightly modified versions of many of the 10 commandments and the golden rule are accepted in the vast majority of the world's cultures enabling them to be considered universal. Slight modifications would be like allowing for killing in self defense. Obviously such widespread agreed upon moral principles would be fewer than the more detailed ones prescribed by various religions. In the Catholic Church we have a name for such a minimal universal law, the natural law.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:51 AM

Name more than two out of 10 commandments of Moses
which are universally accepted