Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Who is your favourite guitar shredder?

guitarist-hendrix
shredder-hendrix...dimebag

i just poured a little out for them and you should too.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: EDDIE VAN HALEN AND HENDRIX

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, I can't believe it took so long for someone to mention Eddie. (Yeah, I know, Hendrix too.) But Eddie's playing on the first six VH albums is phenomenal. The later years aren't bad, guitar-wise, but don't compare to those albums with David Lee Roth.

[/ QUOTE ]

from one of malmsteens bios- i thought it was kind of humorous, found it when i pulled my Rhapsody play list of his up.

The only thing grander than Yngwie's guitar playing is his ego: at one concert, Malmsteen began to play Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption," stopped in the middle of a lightning lick, and yawned, moving on to a hundred-mile-per-hour solo of his own invention. Malmsteen revolutionized guitar playing in the '80s with a combination of Jimi Hendrix's stage flair, Ritchie Blackmore's (Deep Purple) searing Stratocaster tone, and classical composer Niccolo Paganini's rapid-fire arpeggios and self-destructive personality. After teasing guitar fans and his hair in Alcatrazz and Steeler, Yngwie recorded his first (and best) album Rising Force (1984), mixing Metal riffs and Baroque harmonies to spearhead the neo-classical guitar movement. Though many of his U.S. fans have moved on to grungier pastures, Malmsteen still draws them in internationally, with rabid fans in his native Sweden as well as in Japan.

- Jessy Terry
Old 07-27-2005, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, EB. Nice to see others that recognize good tunes. You have any opinions on Schon's solo stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok. It has its moments. In general, I like lead breaks over instrumentals. There's just something about the extra context that brings out the lead and punches you in the face with it.

The thing Schon has that nobody can really touch is his melodic sense. He can inject the simplest little sequences, but they're just so damn RIGHT. That's the stuff the greats are born with. Of course he has the fire, chops, and deep rhythmic pocket as well. Maybe the most well-rounded rock player ever.

Check out Doug Aldrich's work for more in the sort of vein you're into. Very tasty stuff.

eastbay
Old 07-27-2005, 11:34 AM

Paul Gilbert
Buckethead

Holdsworth is great too but not really a shredder.

LOL at The Great Cat
Old 07-27-2005, 01:10 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I'm a huge Jake fan. He was a huge influence in my playing. Primarily at the time of Badlands. I agree, it is a great secret. Ray Gillen had a great voice to compliment Jake.

Get Jakes new disc 'Retraced' for more. It kicks ass. Especially the opening tune.

Ultimate Sin had some good stuff on it. Some of it buried in the songs.

At the moment, he is my favorite guy to listen to. As he was when he was in Badlands. I wish he weren't so reclusive so he'd put out more stuff.

His style isn't really unique. It's throwback to 60s/70s jam style except with better/updated chops. But it's still got that great groove with the slop on it (kind of Pagey in a way). It's raw and the mistakes are left in giving it a great 'live' feel.

I'm glad I saw them live on the Voodoo highway tour.

Fine Pink Mist was kind of an odd release for Jake. It's nothing like his other stuff.

b
Old 07-27-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who knows anything about the electrified geetar knows full well that the only correct response to this question is one word:

Dime.

The leads on Trendkill in particular are like some sort of reinvention of the genre. Freakin terrifying.

[/ QUOTE ]

INCORRECT.

Correct Answer: Yngwie J. Malmsteen. motherfucker

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Yngwie's rythym playing alot more than his soloing. His soloing is a bit boring to me. Same thing every song it seems. Sweep this, sweep that, blah blah.

He does have some cool tunes. Even though he is one of rocks biggest A-Holes.

Him and Dio ought to get together and see who can out-ego each other.

b
Old 07-27-2005, 01:38 PM

I don't know, I never liked Yngwie. Practice yer scales at home, I say. Too Damn Much.
I love Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde (always liked Wylde better than Jake E. Lee but honestly, that may just be because I liked the songs from No Rest For The Wicked better than anything off Bark at the Moon or Ultimate Sin. Ultimate Sin is my least favorite Ozzy album (at least until after No More Tears.))
Eddie Van Halen has to get the "pioneer" nod. I may be talking out my a*s as I don't know who Eddie's influences were.
What about Marty Friedman from Megadeth? Rust In Peace has some sick stuff.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:45 PM

so in 2001 I went to the new school in nyc which has a pretty well respected jazz program, whatever. my first day there I'm looking to see what ensembles I'm in (which is on a big list on the wall) and I see:

Music of Miles Davis Ensemble
Guitar: Alex Skolnick

now, this is a student jazz group, wtf? is there another guitarist named alex skolnick who plays jazz or something? what are the odds?

so I ask some of my fellow students and come to find at that it's the SAME ALEX SKOLNICK, who has short hair, plays an archtop and GOES to the new school to study jazz. he doesn't teach there, he actually attends. weird. at the end of the semester he put up posters for his senior recital that said "Evolution: Alex Skolnick's recital" or something like that. it was funny to see but the guy is a great player who's very serious about playing jazz as well as other stuff of course.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-27-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(always liked Wylde better than Jake E. Lee but honestly, that may just be because I liked the songs from No Rest For The Wicked better than anything off Bark at the Moon or Ultimate Sin. Ultimate Sin is my least favorite Ozzy album (at least until after No More Tears.))

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Zakk. Really like some of his harder stuff like 'stillborn' and 'suicide messiah' Those tunes effing rock. To really compare them, look at Jake away from Ozzy. Same with Zakk. Zakk had a bit more freedom in Ozzy than Jake did. I like 'em both. But I like Jakes' style alot more.

[ QUOTE ]
Eddie Van Halen has to get the "pioneer" nod. I may be talking out my a*s as I don't know who Eddie's influences were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave Clark 5 and some more rockabilly stuff, among other influences. (solo-wise) I watched a local show on tv one night, Johnny and the Blue Flames I think were their names. 50s style band all the way. The solos sounded kind of familiar even though they had a Bill Haley and the Comets type of feel to them. I finally figured it out that it was like Eddie without a distortion peddle. (minus the tapping)

b
Old 07-27-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge Jake fan. He was a huge influence in my playing. Primarily at the time of Badlands. I agree, it is a great secret. Ray Gillen had a great voice to compliment Jake.

Get Jakes new disc 'Retraced' for more. It kicks ass. Especially the opening tune.

Ultimate Sin had some good stuff on it. Some of it buried in the songs.

At the moment, he is my favorite guy to listen to. As he was when he was in Badlands. I wish he weren't so reclusive so he'd put out more stuff.

His style isn't really unique. It's throwback to 60s/70s jam style except with better/updated chops. But it's still got that great groove with the slop on it (kind of Pagey in a way). It's raw and the mistakes are left in giving it a great 'live' feel.

I'm glad I saw them live on the Voodoo highway tour.

Fine Pink Mist was kind of an odd release for Jake. It's nothing like his other stuff.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Fine Pink Mist, too. Definitely different. Gotta pick up Retraced. Did you know that Badlands has a third album? It is called "Dusk". Jakes' website also has a few unreleased Badlands tunes and some rare Roughcut stuff.