2) LA Clippers: 16-10
3) Minnesota: 13-12
4) Dallas: 21-7

Eastern Conference
1) Detroit: 22-3
2) Miami: 16-12
3) New Jersey: 15-12
4) Cleveland: 17-9

So...because Dallas is in the same division with SA, and Cleveland is in the same division with Detroit...it doesn't MATTER if they end up far and away the second best teams in their respective conferences. They have to open the playoffs with the #5 seed, and play the #1 seed in the second round.

This sets up a situation where the two best teams in both conferences will be squaring off in the SECOND ROUND of the playoffs instead of the Conference Finals, while two of the four paper "division champs" get into the final four...where they'll get their asses waxed by the winner of the 1-4 series.

Does anybody else think this is just stupid? I can understand it somewhat in football and baseball...but with an 8-team-per-conference playoff system, why does basketball even NEED divisions? They only play one more game against division opponents than other conference opponents (and correct me if I'm wrong, but sometimes that's not even the case), and having these meaningless divisions don't do a damn thing but make it harder (and in the West's case it looks like impossible) for the best two teams in the conference to actually meet in the conference finals.

DUM
Old 12-27-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: The NBA Standings Look Ridiculous

i was looking at this the other day too. i guess you can make the argument that in order to get to the finals out of the west you will eventually have to get through san antone anyway so your seed doesn't really matter [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

regardless, like classic bob said in the mavs thread one more win and we are tied for first so who knows with a some luck we may get to play at home in the playoffs [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].
Old 12-27-2005, 02:22 AM

From a Mavs perspective, I agree that they have to beat the Spurs to get to the show...it'd just be nice to see two playoff series before that and get to play them on a bigger stage, with more recognition of their achievements (instead of "eliminated again in the Western Conference Semis").

This is not to say I don't think the Mavs can beat the Spurs in a seven-game series, because I think they're certainly capable of doing so. But...if such a series were to start right now, I'd definitely give the Spurs the advantage.

But either way, no matter who ends up in those 1-4, both with better records than the 2-3 spots...I find it ridiculous.

If they wanna keep divisions as a symbolic gesture, I suppose that's fine. But I think seedings should always be done by record, regardless of division.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:25 AM

The exact same situation happened with both 3 seeds last year. If people thought it was horrible they easily could have changed it. Same thing happens in the NFL regarding a team with a worse record hosting the team with the better record in the 1st round of the playoffs, or MLB with reguards to wildcards and division winners.

There is no point in even having divisions if winning them gets you nothing.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 AM

Phoenix will end up with the 2 seed easily when they get Stoudemire back, and they will be the 2nd best team in the west. This year though they will be MUCH better matched up against this Spurs with the added depth and defense.

The same thing should go for Miami if they learn to play together.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:20 AM

Previous years the nba did something odd. With 2 divisons per conference, the first round of the playoffs, the 2 division winners would get the #1 and #2 seed. However in the 2nd round, it would change based on overall record. So a #3 in the first round, in the 2nd round the team with the better record would become a #2 seed (and get home court). It happened a few years ago, but now with realignment, I am not sure if they still do it. Like I said, nutty.

Blame David Stern for trying to make it the non thug, all happiness league. There's a good reason raitings have dropped and they no longer use that damn phrase "I love this game"
Old 12-27-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Previous years the nba did something odd. With 2 divisons per conference, the first round of the playoffs, the 2 division winners would get the #1 and #2 seed. However in the 2nd round, it would change based on overall record. So a #3 in the first round, in the 2nd round the team with the better record would become a #2 seed (and get home court). It happened a few years ago, but now with realignment, I am not sure if they still do it. Like I said, nutty.

Blame David Stern for trying to make it the non thug, all happiness league. There's a good reason raitings have dropped and they no longer use that damn phrase "I love this game"

[/ QUOTE ]

It still works this way. As it stands right now, there may be an interesting shuffle at the end of the season in the Central. Assuming Detroit runs away with the Central, that leaves the Pacers, Cavs, and Bucks going for spots 4-5-6. In this scenario, it makes more sense for the teams to go for the sixth seed, since the 4th and 5th seeds will play each other in the first round and will be on the road in Detroit the second round.

For the sixth seed, they'd likely get a HOME first round matchup against the Nets (or maybe the Sixers), and get the Heat in the second round.

It sucks, but this has been happening in the Central ever since Charlotte came into the league (and making 6 divisions).
Old 12-27-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phoenix will end up with the 2 seed easily when they get Stoudemire back, and they will be the 2nd best team in the west. This year though they will be MUCH better matched up against this Spurs with the added depth and defense.

[/ QUOTE ]
i disagree.

avery is tailoring dallas' team solely for SA, they are starting to play the way they do. phoenix will have to play some sort of half court game and defense in the playoffs to beat dallas or SA.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:33 PM

It doesn't really matter what seed Dallas has, they can't stop anybody, and will crash and burn in the playoffs like they do every season no matter what seed they have. That team is a joke.

If you're gonna win the east you're gonna go through Detroit. That much is obvious. It's way too early though to call Cleveland the second best team in the conference, so I can't see any case being made for their 4th or 5th seed being "unfair" at this point atleast. If they actually finish with the second best record I'll be impressed and surprised, but when Miami gets rolling and teams really D up on LeBron close to playoff time I bet they drop down a spot or three.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't really matter what seed Dallas has, they can't stop anybody, and will crash and burn in the playoffs like they do every season no matter what seed they have. That team is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you watched basketball lately?
Is Barkley your favorite analyst?