Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Playing QJs against VERY loose players

6 handed game. 100$ buy-in single table tournament.

I have QJs in diamonds on the button. I raise the standard 3xBB. SB folds and BB raises to 8xBB. He has been constantly raising pots all day, and has showed down a few very marginal hands in which he raised with, but I can never remember him showing down a hand after a re-raise so Im not sure what to think. I think for a second, and decide to call.

Flop comes J-K-4 rainbow.

He bets out about 10xBB. I am baffled at this moment so decide to raise him another 25xBB. He calls imiddietly.

Turn is Kc making there 2 clubs on the board as well as pairing the kings.

He checks, and I bet 20x BB.
He again calls immidietly.

River is 5d eliminating all flush and straight possibilities.

He pushes it all-in.

I have him covered barely so dont really feel like getting busted. I feel like I have a read on him as I normally do. I think that if he had the King he would have taken more time calling my raises. I am very confident that he flopped and missed his straight draw. But with how loose of a player he his, it is possible that he had something along the lines of J-x and paired his crummy kicker on the turn or river.

Whats your move and why?

Thanks Yall....Andrew
Old 10-16-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Playing QJs against VERY loose players

[ QUOTE ]
But with how loose of a player he his, it is possible that he had something along the lines of J-x and paired his crummy kicker on the turn or river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're worried about that, you need to not be playing $100 buy-in tournaments until you learn the rules of poker a little better.

On a more serious note, I don't like putting that much money into the pot in earlier rounds if I don't already know how to handle this on the river, especially on the flop (and especially raising someone who has shown nothing but strength up to that point).
Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 AM

Uhh, you fold after the flop. You definately fold after the turn. There's no saying he doesn't have AK or even KJ or K4. You got way too committed, if you feel he's a weak player, you have to get his money in the pot when YOU have the best hand.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:13 AM

What Xhad means, in Hold'em you play your best five card hand which means, KKJJQ is better than KKJJ5. Just to give you an idea of how dead you are though, here are the hands that beat you: (suitedness doesn't matter)

AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AJ, KJ, Kx, 55, 44

Judging by how he played and it and under the assumption that he's a weak player, I'd guess Kx (including AK, KJ, KK).
Old 10-17-2005, 11:30 AM

Fold to he's re-raise.
Fold after the flop.
Don't bet the turn.
Fold on the river.

"I think that if he had the King he would have taken more time calling my raises." <--- Why? Sometimes strong means strong.

I think he has KT if not it is definitely Kx.

IMO
Old 10-17-2005, 12:54 PM

Dude, seriously, your question cannot be answered with the information you provided. The most important consideration at this point is your stack compared to the blinds.

It looks like it was folded around to you. You mention 6 handed, but is it down to 6 players from a bigger number or did it start with 6 and no one has busted out yet?

Without any other information I think you're looking at a fold preflop. Being suited is helpful, of course, but you don't have much in terms of high card strength and if you paired on the flop, there is a good chance you're out kicked.

If it is in the very late stages and the blinds are large compared to your stack, then I think it is a clear push. Pick up the rather large blinds and move on. If you get called, you have 2 live cards.

Onaflag...........
Old 10-17-2005, 03:06 PM

Based on what I see here, and its not enough to truly judge, my assessment is that you let your read get the better of you. You read the guy to be a certain type of player and you let that information put you into a situation where you made several bad plays.

Reads are important, but your read here was not nearly strong enough to justify you going to the mat with your meagre holding.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:15 AM

To answer some questions there were originally 12 people so half the field was gone. I was about 3rd in chips, the blinds were not high enough to be of real concern.

Also, The result of the hand was I called and busted him on a broken flush draw. This hand just stood out in my mind after reviewing my play that one I made some errors on and wanted some advice. It turned out good for me here but I believe I commited myself too much when I was unsure of the result, I came up on top this time but Its probably smart to avoid these kind of situations. Thank you all for the help. Best Wishes....Andrew
Old 10-21-2005, 03:04 AM

Quick Question-

Why were you baffled at his flop bet? OK so he bets around 1/2 pot, no big deal, a lot of people don't even know how big the pot is.

Also just curious what hand did he show down? AQ or AT of diamonds by chance?