Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-24-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Thoughts on Pro\'s Chip Stacks

Sorry if this has been posted before or if its in the wrong forum.

One thing I noticed about the pro's in the WSOP main event and in other events I saw on TV is that the Professionals like to create chip stacks using alot of the lower denominations.

I think they like to have the presence that they have ALOT of chips, but really they don't have big stacks, just alot of physical chips.

I played with John juanda on day one and he would accumulate all of the lower denomination chips to make his stack look bigger, I also notice Howard lederer who was playing at the featured table and almost all of his chips were $100 even though those were practically only being used for antes at that point of the tourny.

Howard also stacks his chips in a way that is impossible for anyone to take a glance at them and see how much he has, it just looks like he has alot of chips. Seems like a good idea from a psychological standpoint.

Just wondering what you guys thought.

--LoO
Old 11-24-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Pro\'s Chip Stacks

It's usually the most aggressive person at a given table that has the big stacks of small denom's.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:24 PM

Stealing blinds and antes gets you the lower denomination chips. Try reraising the guy when he is first in from late position and see what happens [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 AM

Yeah your assumption is flawed due to the fact that they dont get to pick what chip's their opponents put into the pot.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:12 AM

but you do choose what chips you bet and hoarding of the lower denomination chips can be done to a certain extent.

X
Old 11-25-2005, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but you do choose what chips you bet and hoarding of the lower denomination chips can be done to a certain extent.

X

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm talking about, I think that they make a conscious decidion to try to keep as many lower denomination chips as possible.

Also, even at the beginning of the wsop main event, you had a $5000 chip, which you might need to change for lower denominations early in the tourny if you lose half your stack, usually you just ask the guy with alot of chips at your table to change you out, but I've heard of guys refusing to change in for higher denomination chips.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:17 AM

Your assesment is absolutely correct. Pros do hoard the lower demonination chips.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:02 AM

i notice that less experienced players like to bet with small denoms (they don't want to give up their big denoms). i tend to win pots more often when i'm in against less experienced players.

therefore i tend to accumulate a lot of low denom chips.