Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-27-2003, 04:34 PM

Default How bad before you muck a good (great)hand??

When you have the middle or low end of a flush, str, ful house,or just 2 pr, when do you save your money and fold? Aces on the brd, and you a pr.of 2's, what do you do, and when? 4 flush on the brd and you have jack or maybe smaller, when do you muck a made flush?

Any ideas on this for a full table / short table?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:52 PM

Default Re: How bad before you muck a good (great)hand??

Unless there is a lot of action or a rock comes to life, I'm generally going to try and get to showdown as cheeply as possible with most of these hands. Unless the board is really ugly and its multiple bets to me with a hand better than top pair I have a really hard time laying it down in most games.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:13 PM

I ask, because, I've been going to the river with these 2nd best hands for awhile. I am becoming a ROCK, and won't bet on 2pr., won't call with a flush w/o the ACE, or a str w/o the 2 top cards. With a full house, the set part must be higher, and 2 of them, must be in my pocket!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:04 PM

Are you ever playing your hands aggressively?

If too many people are drawing out on you, then you might be playing too passively or not semibluffing enough.

What limit(s) are you playing?
Are you playing these hands when you know you're beaten? Is it always the same players who catch you?

I used to have this problem until about 2 weeks ago. After reading all of the threads here about microlimit play and hand reading, I realized that my problems were in the answers to the questions I just posted.

I am not an expert by any means, but I just went through this recently. For me it was just a matter of having enough confidence to start trusting my instincts more often and tightening up a little on my starting hands.

I hope this helps you and good luck.

Dov
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 10:10 PM

This maybe part of the problem, I play alot of $2/4 "NO FOLDEM HOLDEM". When I started, I would try check-rising and capping with a Queen high flush, just to be called by some maniac(maybe not) with an Ace, and his buddy with a King.

After awhile, I think I've mucked more winning hands than I've won with.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:18 PM

Folding these hands is throwing away $$ in the "no-foldem" games, many players will call down with middle pair, not betting your bigish hands is a mistake.

In my earlier response I mentioned gettign to the river as cheeply as possible and I don't want you to get the wrong Idea you need to be raising these hands (with the likely exception of J on a 4-flush board or other similar easily beatable hand), but if you think you might be beat just try and showdown cheeply don't fold unless you know a player VERY well.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:26 AM

a good way to start thinking about this problem is to evaluate just what hands can possibly beat your pretty good hand. then estimate (and this comes with experience) how likely it is that your opponent would play any of those hands against you in this situation. then evaluate whether or not your opponent(s) have played consistently with these holdings.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:02 AM

Pockets,

Post some specific hands.

This will help.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:41 PM

If you are going to fold, then you should be folding before the flop, on the flop, or on the turn. If you get to the river with these hands, then you should probably call. I've learned that the hardway. Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't always call the river. But more often than not, you should call. In these games, you only have to be right 1 in x times where x is the number of big bets in the pot.

Of course, I assume we are talking about limit. No limit is another story.