Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Admit You Don\'t Believe in Miracles

This is easy to understand.
1. Believers claim God has done miracles--that is things which are beyond the bounds of logic and science.
2. Believers refuse to admit that there could be 2 completely conflicting bibles (or sets of laws) handed down to us by God.
3. If God can work miracles than certainly he can create 2 or more conflicting stories and make them true. He works outside of our laws.
4. If you refuse to admit this miracle is possible than you do not believe your own tenants. This makes you less than honest in many ways.

-g
Old 11-16-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Admit You Don\'t Believe in Miracles

Tenets
Old 11-16-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tenets

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain...
Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 PM

never.. never.. NEVER.. believe your tenants.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:41 PM

You are barking up the wrong tree. Even most devoutly religious people do not claim that God has the power to be self contradictory. He can"t make the word "cat" out of the leters d o g.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are barking up the wrong tree. Even most devoutly religious people do not claim that God has the power to be self contradictory. He can"t make the word "cat" out of the leters d o g.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I am. My point is that once you accept the notions that a) god is infinite and b) god is capable of working outside the bounds of reason and laws do not apply
you MUST accept that he can contradict himself if he desires.

-g
Old 11-16-2005, 02:03 PM

lol...tenets...yes that is it. Good to see people critiquing the post on its logical merits and not on some stupid error in punctuation, spelling, etc.
-g
Old 11-16-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To clarify this seeming problem, the contradiction is merely apparent on the earthly plane. All bets are off in the afterlife and God can decide to do whatever he wants...theoretically. This MUST be accepted as a possibility if one accepts God's infinite power.
-g
Old 11-16-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
miracles--that is things which are beyond the bounds of logic and science.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have given one possible definition of a miracle, and not even a commonly accepted one.

[ QUOTE ]
Believers refuse to admit that there could be 2 completely conflicting bibles (or sets of laws) handed down to us by God.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first time I've heard that claim, so I am very curious to what set of believers you are referring.

Scott

PS The whole "can god create a stone so big he can't lift it" debate is ragged and threadbare, and your interpretation adds nothing to the discussion.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
miracles--that is things which are beyond the bounds of logic and science.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have given one possible definition of a miracle, and not even a commonly accepted one.

[ QUOTE ]
Believers refuse to admit that there could be 2 completely conflicting bibles (or sets of laws) handed down to us by God.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first time I've heard that claim, so I am very curious to what set of believers you are referring.

Scott

PS The whole "can god create a stone so big he can't lift it" debate is ragged and threadbare, and your interpretation adds nothing to the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not added anything new to the discussion, I admit. I am just trying to get Believers (and I guess that means you?) to answer a simple set of questions which they refuse to answer for obvious reasons.
Admit that god is all-powerful and infinite, and you must admit that you then know nothing whatsoever about the rest.
-g