Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Bet this turn?

4 handed. sb and bb are your run of the mill calling stations.

Preflop
Utg folds. I raise A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button, Sb calls, bb calls

Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

sb checks, bb checks, i bet, both call

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Sb checks, bb checks, i ???
Old 12-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Bet this turn?

I've gone back and forth on this one but I think you should probably bet against straightforward players. The flop has enough low cards that they could be peeling with overcards that they'll fold to a turn bet. They could also have a flush draw, which will pay you a bet now but not on the river.

So I think there's just enough chance that you're still ahead that you should bet here. But I think it's pretty close. If you think they're tricky enough to raise with an 8, 5 or FD then you should check behind.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:30 PM

I'm betting easily. We're ahead fairly often here and have several solid outs to draw to if we aren't.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Bet. Calling station SB and BB's ranges are both very wide on this flop and includes overcards and flushdraws which you are ahead of now, and they may fold 6-out overs. You could also get a better A-high to fold. The turn isn't the best card in the world, but against straightforward calling station types you can bet the turn, folding to a raise, and take the free showdown unimproved on the river.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:36 PM

you also have good FE with the paired flop, a turn bet here will represent a 4 to many players.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:29 PM

Representing a 4? Hero raised preflop. If the villains are actually thinking about what hero is representing, they'll be thinking AA long before they think 4x. They'll be even more inclined to think it's AK. And this assumes they're even thinking about what hero might have (unlikely). I don't think hero is ahead all that often here against two loose villains. They could easily have a pair, trips, or a PP. For outs, we've got 7 optimistically, 5.5 with the standard deduction, and in reality something in between given the circumstances. That's enough to compell hero to call a c/r, but, man, it sure sucks. If we could fold to the c/r, then I'd like betting more, or else if the pot was big and calling it sucks less. I think I check here.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 PM

bet.

Krishan
Old 12-29-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They could easily have a pair, trips, or a PP. For outs, we've got 7 optimistically, 5.5 with the standard deduction, and in reality something in between given the circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like betting because I think we are ahead often enough, and we can fold to a c/r. These villains are passive and unlikely to CR with less than trips here. If check raised, I don't think we have much more than 4 outs. Once in a while, villain will have slow played QQ or KK (giving us 7 outs), but that is much less likely than 4x.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 AM

Eh, even then, I'd rather not risk having to give up my four out equity in the pot. W/o the gutter, we can easily fold to the c/r because of the high chance we're drawing dead. If we fold to a c/r, we forfeit about 0.75 BB in equity, whereas if we checked, we'd be liking life a lot more.