Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2005, 01:43 PM

Default HLSP Stud8 3 high str8 fl cards

In High-Low-Split Poker, zee calls three high cards to a consecutive straight flush "some of the better starting hands."

He goes on: " You can play these hands against several low hands, and you can take cards off. When you catch blanks, you can usually go to fifth or sixth street--unless there is a great deal of jamming--as long as your opponents' boards do not look too threatening."

I don't see a lot of these hands, but have never liked playing them--probably because I don't know how to. One quibble I have always had, probably left over from the declare days, is that they always present a high door card that negates opportunities for deception.

I'd like to hear from people who like these hands and have a system for playing them--I really don't have a very good handle on them.

Let's take (9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as an example. Cards are live.

How many low hands would you like to play against?
Would another high card in the pot, let's say a K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], disuade you from playing?

If you catch a complete blank on 4th street, when would you continue and when would you drop? How about if you caught an off-suit 7 or Q?

If you miss 4th street, when would you call a bet on a weakly-hit 5th street? Let's say you caught the off-suit Q or 7. How about a 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? How about a Jack?

(I really don't know what is meant by a "great deal" of jamming in the book's statement.)

Do these hands play better or worse as the opposition improves? It would seem to me that against clueless opponents, they would be "hit big or fold" in the early going since it would be hard to move with them.