Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 04-27-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Honesty on this site..

How many of you are skeptical of the results that some people post on this site?

These are the things that I am skeptical of.

A lot of the claims that people are making about BB/hr.
What happened to that dude who said he could make $100k in 100 days? And ThrillFactor?

I also think some people even lie about the advice they give sometime. Crap like, "ya, I fold KQs out of the big blind if its raised. There's a good chance you're dominated, blah blah blah."

With the distribution of the hands I'm given at Party Poker, if I were to play the way some people on here say they do, I would never play a hand.

I think people lie about their poker skills the way they lie about their golf games. Everybody wants to be good, but only a few really are.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Honesty on this site..

I think people lie about their poker skills the way they lie about their golf games. Everybody wants to be good, but only a few really are.

I completely agree. Thats why I admit I do not play well so I do not have to lie.

Welcome aboard.

Very cutting edge post. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2004, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened to that dude who said he could make $100k in 100 days?

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is what I remember, it was Ulysses's joke responding to similar threads about smaller sums in other time periods.
As to the [ QUOTE ]
"ya, I fold KQs out of the big blind if its raised. There's a good chance you're dominated, blah blah blah."

[/ QUOTE ] stuff, I believe it because I've seen those posters (who can flat out play poker) do it all the time.

Perhaps everyone isn't telling the truth, but I'm pretty certain that most of what gets posted here is close. Think about how many poker players there are in the world. How many of those are willing to spend the time reading, etc. to improve? This board is one resource, so participation here is an indication of a willingness to do more than pray for good cards. I think the percentage of winning and/or good players here on the board is much higher than in real life simply because of this.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:28 PM

I am sckepical of the posters here. Most spend an unual amount of time of trying to make $ by bumming bonuses. I have never even considered a bonus as a ligitimate effort to make $. The worse is on the "Internet" site. Those folks simply try to make cute messages. All fluff, no substance.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:34 PM

The $100k in 100 days was a real post. I believe you were thinking of my $200k in 7 days. I failed at that one.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:36 PM

I believe you were thinking of my $200k in 7 days. I failed at that one.

You played under duress [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2004, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened to that dude who said he could make $100k in 100 days?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm positive that that guy is legit. I used to watch him play NLHE on Paradise last spring/summer, and he was one of the strongest players I have ever seen.

I'm pretty skeptical about Mike's claims not to be very good, though... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bottom line is, why should you care if someone posts inflated numbers about their results? I know the advice of many posters on this forum has greatly helped my game. Knowing exactly how many BB/hr they make down to 3 decimal places wouldn't change the quality of their advice one way or the other.

scrub
Old 04-27-2004, 03:37 PM

Lol, I was just looking at the few hands I played against ThrillFactor in my pokertracker the other day. I haven't seen him around here or on party in a long time. I don't think he got the results he was expecting.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:40 PM

I believe most of what I read wrt win rates. Some of the posters I know, others I've seen play. However, of all the rates that get posted, many are unsustainable for the people posting them. The variance in these online games is HUGE and it's very easy for people to have results that are wildly different than their medium/long-term expectation. There are some really expert players here making a ton of money, but there are also some people who have had really nice hot streaks.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:45 PM

Most of the site is either full of [censored] or taking small runs and posting their inflated rates. But what do I know? I'm the only losing player on 2+2.