Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-09-2005, 05:28 PM

Default stars 2table sng. flopped trips with TK

no reads. 6th hand of a turbo.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 (t860)
MP1 (t1940)
MP2 (t1370)
MP3 (t1590)
CO (t1710)
Hero (t1450)
SB (t1450)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1630)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t90</font>, MP3 calls t90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t90, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls t60, UTG+1 calls t60.

Flop: (t495) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t300</font>,

HERO...?

I will post results later.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-09-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: stars 2table sng. flopped trips with TK

First on all I fold it preflop. Limping from the button is fine, calling a raise is not. I push the flop - no free cards.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:47 PM

I push this everytime. Assuming this is a low buy in, the flush draw is going to call. There is obviously a chance you run into 5's but not likely. It is a good opportunity to double up at least.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold it preflop. Limping from the button is fine, calling a raise is not. I push the flop - no free cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:19 PM

I'm interested: why not call the raise with A7s preflop?

my reasoning was as follows, I have position, the raise was a small portion of my stack, it is a hand that could improve to the nuts, and I could win a big pot or double up with it if it hits. Original raiser and caller could have pocket pairs or AK-AJ KQ, and I am not playing A7s for high card value.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-09-2005, 10:04 PM

If you suspect that a flush draw or an overpair will call if you push, why not just make a pot sized bet on the flop and push the turn unless it is a third spade?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

my reasoning was as follows, I have position, the raise was a small portion of my stack, it is a hand that could improve to the nuts, and I could win a big pot or double up with it if it hits. Original raiser and caller could have pocket pairs or AK-AJ KQ, and I am not playing A7s for high card value.

Thanks,
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the vast majority of the time you won't flop trips, but either A high or a flush draw. If you can really get away from the A high flop and not fold incorrectly to QQ or whatever, then you are still going to have to make money from when you flop a draw, and because it's been raised preflop, the others will almost certainly give you incorrect odds (and yes, call your re-raise/push/whatever) to continue with the hand. That is why, you fold preflop.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like limping with a suited A from late position provided the stacks are relatively deep (as they are here) and you can play reasonably well postflop.

My issue with you calling the raise is as others have stated, as well as the fact that your call does not close the action. Since two players are left to act after you preflop, you still might not even get to see the flop.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:43 PM

well yeah, i wasnt looking to flop trips, but it was nice to see them after making that (mistaken) call.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
-Mike

Results in white:
<font color="white">
Hero raises all-in.
MP3 calls with 55.
Hero loses.
</font>