Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 06:50 AM

Default OT: My mom wants me to be a poker pro

After class today (Political Theory, which totally kicks ass), I had to take my mom to the body shop where she picked up her car from repair. On the way, she nonchalantly says to me, "You know honey, you should consider moving to Reno next year." "Oh really? And do what?" "Well maybe you could take a shot at being a poker player for a year." (slience) "What?" "Clearly you're very interested in the game, and you're always telling me how much you learned that day...if you love it so much you might as well give it a try for a while. Reno's smaller than Vegas so you'll adjust better."

Okay wait what? My mom WANTS me to take a break from college and be a poker pro?

It is getting kind of chilly here.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Re: OT: My mom wants me to be a poker pro

My parents were a little concerned at first, but after I showed them my continued success they have warmed to the idea. Now they totally accept it.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:34 AM

White people can't play the game that I do

Kanye
Old 10-07-2005, 07:38 AM

Well, my mom was very sceptical when i first started playing poker. But when i showed her some of my cashouts she kinda turned around. However, she would still go into a hissy fit if i even considered dropping out of college and going pro :P
Old 10-07-2005, 07:50 AM

Why not? Imho, this is no different a call than a good college athlete leaving college early to take a shot at the pros. If it doesn't work out, go back and finish. If it does work out, chances are good you'll make a lot more money than you would with a degree.

Congratulations. You've got a better Mom than I had, or still have. (She thinks I'm a degenerate gambler, but never misses the Tues Night Lotto and Sat Night bingo.)

CJ
Old 10-07-2005, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is no different a call than a good college athlete leaving college early to take a shot at the pros

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah there's a huge difference. It lies in the use of the word 'good.'

I appreciate the support though.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not? Imho, this is no different a call than a good college athlete leaving college early to take a shot at the pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure this makes me the Matt Walsh of the SNG circuit.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:16 AM

I'm on the other side of these opinions: I agree that for years 1-3 you can make more at a 9-5er, but I'm not sure how high the ceiling can get. I always hear pros say that it takes huge mental and psychological stability to handle swings full-time, and this job comes without any benefits (medical insurance, 401K, life insurance, pension, etc) that greatly favor the normal working life.

Don't get me wrong; I love poker and have made quite a bit of money playing it, but I play at nights when the fish come out to play, and still have a (hopefully) normal life on top of that.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:39 AM

Meh.

-EV
Old 10-07-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm on the other side of these opinions: I agree that for years 1-3 you can make more at a 9-5er, but I'm not sure how high the ceiling can get. I always hear pros say that it takes huge mental and psychological stability to handle swings full-time, and this job comes without any benefits (medical insurance, 401K, life insurance, pension, etc) that greatly favor the normal working life.

Don't get me wrong; I love poker and have made quite a bit of money playing it, but I play at nights when the fish come out to play, and still have a (hopefully) normal life on top of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Benefits:

No Tax (for me in the UK)
No need for medical insurance (it is free in the UK)
I put away a % of my monthly winnings as a "retirement plan"
No boss
Play when I want
I have a "normal" life