Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Reraising preflop

So I'm struggling through this game, slowly becoming aware of my own inadequecies as a poker player.

When are people reraising preflop, and with what? I almost never reraise, thinking it's telegraphing the strenght of my hand and will be greeted by folds.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Reraising preflop

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm struggling through this game, slowly becoming aware of my own inadequecies as a poker player.

When are people reraising preflop, and with what? I almost never reraise, thinking it's telegraphing the strenght of my hand and will be greeted by folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

reraise more hands: reraise medium pocket pairs, reraise suited connectors, reraise junk, reraise everything and anything from time to time. Playing position is fun [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2005, 06:37 PM

I reraise PF for a number of reasons. Sometimes, if a LAG has been raising my blind from the button every time, I'll reraise with PPs and broadways.

My RR standards fluctuate, mainly depending on my opponent. I RR with AA/KK/(usually)QQ almost every time. I do it to a)define my hand and b) get more money in the pot, making post flop decisions easier. I'll RR with AK and such in position or if there is alot of dead money in the pot too, and other such reasons.

Flat calling with AA/KK is not good IMO. Unless you are playing super deceptive vs tough opponents, I think you should RR 98% of the time. Yes, you'll be greeted with folds sometimes, but the benefit of playing a bigger pot with a bigger hand exceeds it.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:22 AM

Thanks, I'll try what you suggested. Had a chance to do this today with a LAG on my table, but he sat on my left, think he was stalking me. I've been wondering why my preflop aggro factor is so low, this could be it.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:58 AM

is it a leak to create large pots pf with premium PPs OOP?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:06 PM

well if your new, then i would stick to reraising only with ur AA and KK, and if you have position QQ.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:18 PM

Yeah man but then the scum start folding and you'll collect 5bb. I dunno, 5bb isn't too shoddy, but I'd like 100bb.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:41 PM

Bullets and cowboys don't play well to a bunch of callers. Depending on the amt of callers and the looseness of the PFR you NEED to reraise imho.

Everyone knows that bullets win small pots and lose big ones. You want to make people to pay to see the flop when you have bullets.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:44 PM

I re-raise for many reasons ....

1. Value
2. Combating someone that is making a move
3. Isolate
4. Just playin position

There are no hard and fast guidlines on what hands to re-raise. Sometimes I play will flat call AA, other times I will re-raise with 73o. It all depends on the previous actions/players.