Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Donkey or Genius? (or in between...)

Here's a play I've tried a few times with success, it relates to satellite SNG's (i.e top 2 get same prize, 3rd gets re-buy or loses etc., **basically Party Step tournies)

I think it might be effective is a cash SNG but not sure...

It goes like this:
Prizes: Top two win same prize, third gets re-buy

Blinds 300/600

chips (before posting):
Button: 5000
SB (me): 3500
BB: 1500

Button Raises 600 to 1200
Me: Pushes with any two
BB: folds
Button: folds

Is this crazy? I mean the standard thought will be, why mess around, the button is raising the BB blind, attempting to take him out, but the big blind might think he is pot committed or something and call with a lesser hand, if he wins, we are all even again.

I push any two there cause
a.) The BB will fold alot more hands then he would aginst the min-raise, because if the button calls my all-in, the BB could advance (exactly what he is praying happens)

b.) I feel like the button has to have a monster to call, he min-raised cause he just wanted to declare that his hand was alright and he wants to pass by me to commit the BB, but he actually doesnt want to put his whole stack at risk.

So by pushing over the min raise, it causes the BB to not defend his blind in hopes of the two big stacks clashing, but meanwhile I feel like the Button needs AA or maybe KK to call my raise (after all, if he just folds, the BB loses his blind, which is EXACTLY what the Button wanted done anyway.

I've done it a few times with success, of course this is because I havent run into a monster yet.

Let me know what you guys think.

--LoO
Old 10-27-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Donkey or Genius? (or in between...)

In a satellite situation like this, I would call. You want the big stack and you vs the hand of the BB. He is losing 40% of his stack to the blind, so he really has to push, and you both call 300 and check it down.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:54 PM

I agree with your reasoning, but still, you have 3500, and the shortstack has 1500-- no need to steal chips from the other guy0 you're fine right now. Anyways, the big stack will have a calling hand enough times that I would just chill. Not that its a horrible move, but you've got a great stack and a short stack- no need to beat the bigstack.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:59 PM

I think calling is a bad idea.
-Shortie will still fold if he doesn't like his hand.
-If you do get him all-in there is probably a greater than 33% chance that he triples up, leaving you as the shortie.
-If he folds and you catch two pair, what now?

I'm not sure about raising, but OP does bring up some good points. the problem I have with it is that he can call and if he does lose, he still has 1500 behind, which is still signifigant enough to have a shot. While you bust.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think calling is a bad idea.
-Shortie will still fold if he doesn't like his hand.
-If you do get him all-in there is probably a greater than 33% chance that he triples up, leaving you as the shortie.
-If he folds and you catch two pair, what now?

I'm not sure about raising, but OP does bring up some good points. the problem I have with it is that he can call and if he does lose, he still has 1500 behind, which is still signifigant enough to have a shot. While you bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm not saying this isnt dangerous, but if the Button stops and thinks for a second, he'll realize that if he folds, he'll have 3800 while the BB will be down to 900, then we can tag team him (in a non-sexual way) on the next hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:55 AM

I think this is a good play, that likely will only backfire a small amount of the time. The only time it sucks is if BB wakes up with a good hand and calls and now button doesn't call, and you expose your weak hand and bring BB back to life. But in general the button has made a huge mistake. He should be pushing all the time, which forces you to fold. By raising an amount less than a push, he is opening up this play to you. If BB folds and button calls and loses then he's down to a short stack like the BB. His calling range should be pretty small.