Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 03:32 AM

Default Re: New Goals

If your ultimate goal is to play 10/20 then you need to learn poker. So skip the nanolimits and start from 1/2. And DON'T multitable. And don't care about how much you make in the meantime. You'll be making $10000 easy(?) at 10/20.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how about focusing on playing good solid poker, not the results

a goal like this will likely not succeed

[/ QUOTE ]

The purpose of this goal is for that focus. I'm nothing new to poker. However, I'm not an expert either. I can handle multitabling and have tools to assist me.

I have every reason to believe that this goal will succeed and perhaps even sooner than I expect. The idea of this was to give me benchmark goals to maintain my progress of 2BB/hr along with the satisifaction of turning such a nominal amount of money into something substantial.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
agreed. setting time and $ goals for each limit sounds stupid to me. set money goals OR time goals. there is a lot you aren't in control of.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, there is much I can't control. Which is why I have set about a more conservative setting. I didn't include rakeback or any bonus chasing I might involve myself in.

A goal like this simply cannot succeed if I allow myself to believe that this is something I cannot achieve. Furthermore, it sorta is a time OR money goal.

If you read back you'll see that I'm not going to quit if I don't hit any of my benchmark goals. Rather I will just delay my rewards. But nevertheless, I will still be rewarded.

Now if I would have said I'm going to make 10k in two months, or a million bucks in a year, then that would be extending myself out from what is possible. Despite downswings and upswings and everything else in between, I don't see how this would not be obtainable.

The goal isn't the flaw. Any leakage I have in my current limit game is my only flaw. And giving myself 20 hours a week I have plenty of time to plug what needs to be plugged for me to move ahead.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And what do you do if you manage to do well in the first couple of limits and all of a sudden you find yourself playing 2/4 or 3/6. This should be godd but when you hit a cold streak here I think you are going to start to worry about your money since you won't be used to losing these in such a rapidly pace. I thing that mentally this can be very hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take each challenge as they arise. So WHEN I do hit a downswing I will adjust my limits if needed to eliminate the risk of ruin. So if I have to drop back a limit, then so be it.

This isn't a strict no way out formula I'm following. These are just goals that I will strive to accomplish.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:21 AM

Congratulations on setting your goals and embarking on your quest.

The only suggestion I would make is that having a level-system based upon dollar amount, and calculated from a BB/hour has the potential to make your play very results based.

Good luck!

KO
Old 06-20-2005, 09:25 AM

does this at all included bonuses? or are you totally excluding them from the figures? and i figure part of your goal is based on playing ring games only, no SnG's or anything?

what about short-handed play? i've heard, while the variance is greater, it is more profitable.

sounds like a fun project- too stressfull for me, but good luck. hope it is fun for ya? oh, what are you gonna do with $10,000 that you win?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations on setting your goals and embarking on your quest.

The only suggestion I would make is that having a level-system based upon dollar amount, and calculated from a BB/hour has the potential to make your play very results based.

Good luck!

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

I level up when I'm 300x the BB for the level I need to move to. I don't move up by time, but rather by the dollar amount required.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does this at all included bonuses? or are you totally excluding them from the figures? and i figure part of your goal is based on playing ring games only, no SnG's or anything?

what about short-handed play? i've heard, while the variance is greater, it is more profitable.

sounds like a fun project- too stressfull for me, but good luck. hope it is fun for ya? oh, what are you gonna do with $10,000 that you win?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have exluded all bonuses and rakeback from these figures in order to keep the goals conservative. The bonuses and rakeback however will contribute to this tremenously.

As for the 10k? I plan to continue playing poker on a more professional level at that point. The way I see it now, is that 10k will be the max I maintain in my bankroll and anything over that I can cash out and start to supplement my income with until I can reach the point where I am able to replace it all together.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:02 AM

I'm sure it won't influence you, but if you're currently playing at a limit over .10/.20 I strongly suggest that you start the challenge at that limit. I know it lessens the enormous-looking feat of turning $40 into $10k or whatever, but you may not have the will to make it through all of those micros if you're used to 1/2.

I'm saying this because I decided to take the Prima $10 challenge - turn the free $10 into a bankroll - which a bunch of people have done. But making under 50 cents an hour while playing against opponents who probably aren't even paying attention to the game just isn't something I want to be doing for 280 hours (multitabling) until I get up to $150 to start .25/.50.

In my case, I'm going to deposit $250 and play .25/.50 knowing that there is very little chance, no matter how bad a player I am, that I'm going to lose more than my $100 bonus before I reach the raked hands requirement and get it. (In fact, I expect I'll be able to play winning poker, but I'm being conservative). And of course knowing that if I do lose money beyond the bonus it won't bother me that much.

I'm telling you all this because if you expect to be pulling down big bucks at 10/20 in a year, you're probably already better than me, so don't play .10/.20.

Why not try turning $600 into $30k? that sounds impressive. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it won't influence you, but if you're currently playing at a limit over .10/.20 I strongly suggest that you start the challenge at that limit. I know it lessens the enormous-looking feat of turning $40 into $10k or whatever, but you may not have the will to make it through all of those micros if you're used to 1/2.

I'm saying this because I decided to take the Prima $10 challenge - turn the free $10 into a bankroll - which a bunch of people have done. But making under 50 cents an hour while playing against opponents who probably aren't even paying attention to the game just isn't something I want to be doing for 280 hours (multitabling) until I get up to $150 to start .25/.50.

In my case, I'm going to deposit $250 and play .25/.50 knowing that there is very little chance, no matter how bad a player I am, that I'm going to lose more than my $100 bonus before I reach the raked hands requirement and get it. (In fact, I expect I'll be able to play winning poker, but I'm being conservative). And of course knowing that if I do lose money beyond the bonus it won't bother me that much.

I'm telling you all this because if you expect to be pulling down big bucks at 10/20 in a year, you're probably already better than me, so don't play .10/.20.

Why not try turning $600 into $30k? that sounds impressive. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. Moving up the limits is overrated. Start with a limit that you are comfortable and bankrolled for, and start making money and becoming a better poker player. That might be .25/.50, or maybe 2/4. But otherwise you are wasting your effort on a task with very little return.