Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Doylestown on PP coaching people to visit this site

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways I don't understand the whole secret society thing

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you don't know the secret password and hand-shake yet. You don't learn those until you get 1000 posts.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:08 PM

The reason I found 2+2 was because of someone at the table. I wasn't being "scolded" but we were talking about message boards and he said he read 2+2 and I was like, what's that.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doylestown: twoplustwo (dot) com get learned

[/ QUOTE ]

This recomendation wouldn't carry much weight with me.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I found 2+2 was because of someone at the table. I wasn't being "scolded" but we were talking about message boards and he said he read 2+2 and I was like, what's that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsflash, you're the kind of person apparently not welcome here.

If you (and by "you" I mean "anyone") really thought this way about 2+2 then you probably don't believe in exchanging info and ideas on this site as well... because, after all, if you have some profound understanding of some concept, why would you share it with other forum members? Why would your loyalty and generosity extend past anyone but yourself? This is not judgemental, it's actually a sincere question. If you have a problem with "fish" coming to the site because they will gain skills and become better players, then you must be against giving other 2+2 members info as well... because they will get better and sit at your tables...

It's a Prisoner's Dilemma I guess...
Old 06-20-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is 500 in congress....i am assuming 35 are smart.

SFWUSC

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm gonna take the under on that one
Old 06-20-2005, 05:31 AM

I guess that's dumb, if all you ever want to do in the game of poker is take money from people who don't understand the game - and I have no problem with that if that's what you want.

Personally, I go back and forth on the ethics of playing poker against people who are uninformed about the reality of the game, and who don't have all the excessive math and gambling theory education that I got in my privileged upbringing - and I'm totally serious about that.

I'd like to play poker with people who know about the resources that are out there to help them play better and mostly just decide not to use them because they don't care that much about losing a few bucks and they think internet poker is fun. And even though it hurts my winrate, I always enjoy sitting at a table with someone who knows what he's doing (to the extent that anyone, myself absolutely included, knows what we're doing at the limits I play).

If I only played poker to take a few big bets from suckers, I would hate it every bit as much as the last office job I had.

(edit: Not that it really matters to what I said above, but I would never do what Doylestown did - I never table coach in any way. However, if someone _asked_ me for advice on how to learn (which is, of course, unlikely), I would make an honest recommendation.)
Old 06-20-2005, 08:38 AM

The issue is that the guy was not trying to help the other player by recommending this site. He was berating the player and name dropping this site attempting to give his superiority complex some merit. That's rude.

I, like many others here, was directed to this site by someone I didn't know. I had answered a thread concerning poker on the GenX Mensa site, and a guy sent me here. (If he's here, THANK YOU!) At that point, I was beating $0.25/0.50 (I had figured out pot odds and reading the board), but I had no idea about equity, bankroll management, SSH, BW, rakeback, folding in big pots, Clarkmeister, and countless other things.

If someone asks or shows an interest, I'll advertise this site as if I get a commission from it. If someone plays stupid, it's "nh". If one uses this site to enforce their egotistical table rants, it's "STFU"!
Old 06-20-2005, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I found 2+2 because it's listed on the back of all the books

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I was reading Ashley Adam's book on 7-card stud and he credited this site and RPG both as "great sources" in the foreword. When I went looking, RPG didn't seem to be user friendly, so I tried this site and have stuck with it for quite some time.

Hardly seems like this is supposed to be a secret or private club if it's published in the books [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].