Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: In omaha tournies...

Early, when still at a 10 seated table, I will only normally play suited aces with any 3 to the wheel. Of course, I will also play all high cards if I have a suited ace and will play AA at least for a flop.

If you're talking sitngo, then shorthanded O8 is a completely different game. More about buying position and free draws, and you can loosen up a bit and play a variety of other hands you would never consider.

Dominantly though, a good tourney, you will normally see about 20% of flops, and certainely you don't want to see more than 30% MAX.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bryce - let me give you a longer answer.

Simply playing A2xx - will mean that many times you are playing for half the pot. So if it goes heads up - you will just get your money back, and what little overlay there is. but if no low comes, - you are throwing away your money.

You really want to get your hands in on pots you can scoop.

I play almost any 3 card -5 or 4 card -6 at least to see a cheap flop. High coordinating cards are also playable, as are hands like A3KK.

I think just waiting for A2 - is more of a long term survival strategy than a winning stragey.

Also - if you beocome that tight - you won't get any action on your hands unless you are beat or quartered.

I hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ] You are probably right but not on low level internet tournies.(about the action anyways) by just winning the lo you usually double up and quad up if you scoop.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:27 AM

I have never played an omaha/8 tourney, but it seems like you would use pretty much the same strategy in a tournament and a cash game. but just raising with A2xx is really weak. you should always look for low cards, for example it is common to limp with A3xx and I usually raise if I have a high only hand (ie 9TJQ). but only playing A2 means you are playing for half of the pot, so you should play more hands if you want to have some big scores in a tournie and not creep into the money.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also what is wrong with this/what hands do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bryce - The hands I play really depend on the circumstances.

I don't know as there's anything "wrong" with only playing A2XX hands. If it's working for you, go with it.

However, are you aware that there are various hands that do not have an ace and a deuce that are better than some hands that do?

For example, A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a better starting hand than
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

In addition, even 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], though not what i'd consider a great starting hand, is a better starting hand than the forementioned A278n. And there are worse A2XX starting hands than A278n, though that one is pretty mediocre. (Doesn't mean yours truly won't see the flop with any of them).

Indeed, lots of hands that don't have an ace plus a deuce are better starting hands than lots of hands that do.

Thus you probably are folding some better starting hands than you're voluntarily playing.

Buzz
Old 05-04-2005, 07:15 PM

I would love to hear more about O8 tournament strategy. I tried playing a limit tourney on Stars the other night and literally played a grand total of 4 hands voluntarily. 4!!

Now granted, I was running *super* dead with a healthy string of 6789's.... but what weaker hands to include escaped my mind. Especailly with the entire table seeing every flop and my likely check-folding if I played something like KK43ss. My biggest problem is that playing the later streets with these weak hands just burns my chips off since I never know where I am and end up passively calling down and hoping.