Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:11 AM

Default want to Mac it up....

I just got a Powerbook g4 (sweetness...) Unfortunately none of the online poker sites work with a Mac (crap...). PartPoker says I should get Virtual PC (cost $130...double crap). Is there any way around this? Or do I have to suck it up and suck it up? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: want to Mac it up....

I can tell you that even with Virtual PC (which is a crap program to begin with) it won't run smooth at all. Get a PC when you are serious about poker. I know I did.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or do I have to suck it up and suck it up? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do this.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that even with Virtual PC (which is a crap program to begin with) it won't run smooth at all. Get a PC when you are serious about poker. I know I did.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, he's right about this. My friend tried it and it ran like [censored]. He plays Pokerroom now.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:09 AM

I believe PokerRoom has a poker client written in Java that will run on Macs. I've never used it, but I hear its pretty shitty.

Good luck, but getting a dedicated PC for poker (provided you already have a monitor) shouldn't cost you more than VirtualPC would cost, if you can build it yourself. If you're going to multitable that's probably the way to go.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:36 AM

Pokerroom.com has the only decent 'Mac' client. It isn't really a Mac client though, but a Java client, which will run on Mac.

There are other sites like checkandraisepoker (java), pacific (java), bugsyclub (client), victoriapoker (client), etc but it is all very bad, if you get it to work in the first place.

I love Mac's but like a said before: If you are serious about poker you really have to buy a PC.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe PokerRoom has a poker client written in Java that will run on Macs. I've never used it, but I hear its pretty shitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've had very few problems and i've played maybe 30k ring hands there and a bunch of tournies. there's a new PokerTracker-ish program for Macs as well that's very nice called MacPoker Pro. there's info in the Software forum.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 AM

It sucks being a dedicated Mac user and poker player. Probably the worst part of it is the inability to bonus whore. But, pokerroom.com is not bad. Wide selection of games, decent tournies, etc. The software works fine. I've multi-tabled with no problems. It really stuns me that more sites aren't willing to put $ in to make themselves mac accessible- I know it's only a small percentage of the market, but still to virtually cede that opportunity to pokerroom is counter intuitive.
Looking forward to checking out the poker tracker software for mac that was mentioned above.
Good luck-
Old 07-21-2005, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the posts...
I have a PC already and I use it to play poker. It's not terribly fast but it gets the job done. I wanted to play on the Mac for accessibility (like if I'm somewhere with wireless).
Like you guys I think it's odd that most sites aren't Mac friendly.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:47 AM

I love pokeroom. I was stuck in ur situation and was "forced" to play on PR. Haven't played anywhere else since.