Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM

Default How Do I Play This?

Villian is Loose passive with PT stats of VPIP 57 PF 3 Agg .85 Do I continue to bet out on the Turn? Do I bet the river hoping he will fold? I know from experience that if he hit a pair he will stay regardless of what pair and will fold if he missed, but since I have no pair do I just save the bet and hope for the best?

Am I being too aggressive? The button is a tight aggressive player and I wanted him to fold so I would be isolated against the BB.

This was a very common situation for me last night were I was getting great starting hands and no help on the board. I'm always unsure how to play this against passive players who will play anything.

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Button folds.

River: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 08-09-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: How Do I Play This?

I think you can check and fold if he bets. This guy seem passive enough to check through unpaired and there is a very good chance that he has a hand if he bets on a board this cordinated.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:07 AM

First you need to realise that the only way you are ahead on the river is if both his cards are smaller than 7, they are not a pocket pair and they are not both diamonds. Why on earth would he have called preflop, flop and turn with hands fitting that description?

Second, realise that players like this guy just don't fold on the river if they have something, so a bluff is useless.

Therefore the river is a clear check-fold in my opinion.

Preflop and flop are fine of course.

The turn is often a tricky street in hands like these, but here it seems like the opposition might have very little and you have outs unless someone has a big flush. A bet is a decent plan.

Guy.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 AM

Pre-flop. This is standard.

Flop. Yes, follow through with a bet at this board as there is a good chance TAG did not hit here and you will get head's up against the calling station.

Turn. If it wasn't a diamond you might be able to check, but since it was a diamond I think a bet is in order since you are going to have to call if someone else bets. You probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-14 clean outs.

River. As others have said... check with the intention of folding. Betting is what I do when I am playing bad.