Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 05:26 PM

Default \"Could the Colts go undefeated?\" (not what you think)

Will sports "analysts" EVER stop asking this idiotic question. Yes, of course they COULD go undefeated. Hell, the Texans COULD have gone undefeated this season back when they were 0-0.

I'm not sure that this is an exact quote, but one announcer who did the Browns game two weeks ago said something like this:

"There's a lot of talk about whether the Colts could go undefeated, and I certainly think it could happen. But as far as whether it will? I just don't think it's possible."

This guy essentially said, "It's possible. It's impossible."

I want to blame this on the "jockocracy," but even the analysts who are not former jocks go on and on with this nonsense.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: \"Could the Colts go undefeated?\"

I was ready to flame you because :

a)I'm pissed as hell

b)There's already been a million threads about Indy & undefeated

but I like the new twist. I hate hearing about it, but I do think it's worth pumping it as much as they do. Could you imagine the hype around a MLB hitter that has 40 straight games with a hit? Some records deserve the hype when they get close to being reached.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some records deserve the hype when they get close to being reached.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree, and I think this is one of those times.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of the way the question is framed. They're asking if it's possible. Yes, of course it's possible. What they should be asking is whether it WILL HAPPEN. It seems like another symptom of the increasing tendency of sportscasters to want to say something without really saying something. In other words, to do analysis while making no prediction at all.

This happens on PTI a lot. It's not every day, but there are often questions that are worded like this: "Could _____ happen?" Yes, it's possible is always the correct answer.

Given that this all could be solved with a simple re-wording of the question, I think analysts are trying to cover their asses by making predictions without really making predictions.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that this all could be solved with a simple re-wording of the question, I think analysts are trying to cover their asses by making predictions without really making predictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got ya. Reminds me of today's CBS poll for the morning football show. The question was which team has the best chance of beating Indy. They listed 4 teams as choices and then the 5th choice was something like no one will beat Indy.

WTF? How can you make that an option? It makes no sense to the question. You ask which has the best chance, not who will beat Indy.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This happens on PTI a lot. It's not every day, but there are often questions that are worded like this: "Could _____ happen?" Yes, it's possible is always the correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when they play Odds Maker, Wilbon is constantly picking 0% or 100%. I don't think he understands percentages. It's like he thinks "the odds" are the same as "my emotional intensity about the issue."

They occasionally talk about betting lines, but again, are clueless. Like they'll say that the line on USC-UCLA should be under a touchdown, and it's only that high to split the action.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got ya. Reminds me of today's CBS poll for the morning football show. The question was which team has the best chance of beating Indy. They listed 4 teams as choices and then the 5th choice was something like no one will beat Indy.

WTF? How can you make that an option? It makes no sense to the question. You ask which has the best chance, not who will beat Indy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw that, and it just reinforced my opinion that the overwhelming majority of people are simply stupid.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: \"Could the Colts go undefeated?\" (not what you think)

Most polls are stupid like this also. I saw one today...

"Who has the best chance to beat the Colts this season?

Jacksonville
Tennessee
San Diego
No one"

40% voted for no one. Yes, no one has the best chance to beat the Colts. Each of their opponents is equal and has the exact same chance of winning. I don't know what's worse, that they had that as a poll option, or that 40% of people voted for it.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Read my post big guy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this and said WTF!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read my post big guy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this and said WTF!

[/ QUOTE ]

My roommate just told me that he saw it this morning (I was sleeping) and thought the same thing. These are professionals creating polls like this!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:21 PM

Once I was watching a football game and one team was down by 10 points or so in the third quarter.... and one of those instant Internet polls came up on the TV saying "Does X team have a chance to win the game?" The results of the poll? More votes for No than for Yes.