Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 05:10 AM

Default AKs on late position

what is the best way to handle ak suited after a raise from a tight player in Early positon?

middle-end stage of an nl tourney. Vilian is a very tight player. showed only good hands so far. Hero has a conservative image as well. vilian raises from early position 3 times BB.Hero is one seat before the button. everybody folds to hero. vilian has almost twice as chips as hero. but hero is in a very good state in the tourney. almost twice the avarage stack.
hero has AKh.
call? raise? if raise how much? what's the best action?

lets asume hero calls. player on the button callls after hero as well.
Flop ( 5s, 4h, 9h )
vilian bets 1600.
hero - call? raise? raise all-in? or even fold?
If we put vilian on high pair (QQ, JJ, 1010.)( AA or KK is unlikely because hero has AK) should we call? raise?

please see the example below:

NL Texas Hold'em Trny:16913786 Level:6 Blinds (75/150) - Thursday, October 27, 04:45:18 EDT 2005
Table $10,000 Guaranteed(497376) Table #18 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 4: Hero ( $5328 )
Seat 5: UFumbDucker ( $3785 )
Seat 7: Nitefoxx ( $840 )
Seat 8: lsunder ( $5993 )
Seat 2: newcreature ( $2639 )
Seat 3: FishWitChips ( $3040 )
Seat 1: fransau420 ( $1585 )
Seat 9: Vilian ( $9320 )
Seat 10: para01 ( $1177 )
Trny:16913786 Level:6
Blinds (75/150)
There is no Small Blind in this hand as the Big Blind of the previous hand left the table.
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Kh Ah ]
lsunder folds.
Vilian raises [500].
para01 folds.
fransau420 folds.
newcreature folds.
FishWitChips folds.
dedor calls [500].
UFumbDucker calls [500].
Nitefoxx folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 5s, 4h, 9h ]
vilian bets [1600].
dedor ?

any comment will be very appreciated.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: AKs on late position

I move all in. I think aces and kings might still be out for me. I don't want to call and not see a heart, A or K on the turn. If I see a heart on the turn so will the villain and they may not pay you off. I think that the villain most likely has a pair of 10's through to Queens or AK. It explains their raise nicely. I think he would have bet slightly less if he had KK or AA. The player still to act probably has a small pair or high suited connectors so I'm discounting them. I've got a draw to the nuts anyway so even if they do show trips I'm not completely dead.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:47 AM

I reraise PF and see what he does. By not raising PF you have no info. even a very tight player will raise AQ (maybe AJ) and 9's-10's PF, so reraise and find out where u are. Calling is not that horrible either, but If ur gonna call u gotta fold the flop.. you dont have anything.

Edit: just saw the flush draw. Push.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:56 AM

I would only call here, Villain is likely to have an overpair although only overcards can't be shut out, since a lot of ppl CB on a board like this. You're still behind to KK and AA so your K and A outs might not be any good. At this point you can only beat/tie overcards. If you call this 1600 bet you still have 3000 to work with if the turn misses you in any way.

Edit: Reraise preflop, AKs is a very good hand
Old 10-27-2005, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would only call here, Villain is likely to have an overpair although only overcards can't be shut out, since a lot of ppl CB on a board like this. You're still behind to KK and AA so your K and A outs might not be any good. At this point you can only beat/tie overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you call here and they are holding an over pair that isn't aces or kings or they are holding AK, AQ, you have to fold any reasonable turn bet if no ace, king or flush card comes. This to me just seems to be one of those hands where both players are putting there money, except there is a reasonable chance they will fold AK, AQ and maybe 1010, JJ if they are tight and you push the flop.

And I'll add that both players are big stacks and winning this hand will put you in a very good posistion to make some decent money.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 AM

What do you think the Villain will put us on if we call his PFR and then call his big bet on the flop?

It's not that I don't like a push with this board. Before I push I would like to have a solid read on Villain, Hero's reas is that he's a tight player that only showed good hands so far. Ofcourse he's capable of making a (semi-)bluff every once in a while, but right know we're still only drawing to, what could be, the nuts.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:18 AM

Pushing after the flop is very reasonable. we have 15 outs to win if he has an overpair and much more if he has ak or aq.
The only problem I have with pushing after the flop is my position in the tourney.
Hero is in a very good situation now. If we push all-in and vilian has any kind of hand ( 1010 - QQ ) he will call, and that will put us in a coin flip situation. (after the flop AKh is 52% favorite to win QQ for example with this flop).
I'm not sure I want to risk my all tourney for a coin toss at this point. ( if I had a shorter stack it might justify it).

as for raising preflop with AKs. Vilian is a very tight player if we raise and he reraise what then? maybe calling and seeing a flop with a better position is better. (If I was on BB or SB maybe reraisng is better to eliminate the position advantage)

what do you think?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:34 AM

I forgot to include the chipstacks in my post, that's why I took this line of play. If the roles were reversed I would have pushed the flop anyday.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Als antwoord op:</font><hr />
as for raising preflop with AKs. Vilian is a very tight player if we raise and he reraise what then? maybe calling and seeing a flop with a better position is better. (If I was on BB or SB maybe reraisng is better to eliminate the position advantage)

what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you think you have a conservative table image he has to put you on the few top hands QQ+ and AKs. If he's holding a hand in that range he will reraise you again true. But then you can say with almost 100% certainty what hand he's holding and take the action you think is appropriate. You have position throughout the hand, take advantage of it.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:34 AM

Yeah pushing was definitely fine, you're a favorite even against my tight range.

I also think you were right to just call preflop, especially given that I was in such a low gear.

Nice playing with you.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think the Villain will put us on if we call his PFR and then call his big bet on the flop?

It's not that I don't like a push with this board. Before I push I would like to have a solid read on Villain, Hero's reas is that he's a tight player that only showed good hands so far. Ofcourse he's capable of making a (semi-)bluff every once in a while, but right know we're still only drawing to, what could be, the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's going to have to have AA, a lot to make the push unprofitable. If he holds KK it is still profitable for us. We have 12 outs against KK and there is enough money in the pot to make it worthwhile. He may also get away from his hand when we hit our draw and so we loose out. By pushing he has to make a decision now. We are getting the odds for any hand he may likely hold, excluding AA, 99. He may also incorrectly fold a pair which he should call with.