Old 10-06-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Pregnant Women Smoking

What about fist fighting a kangaroo?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. We should chain all pregnant women up in sterile rooms and feed them nothing but organic tofu and beet juice, so that nothing adverse ever happens to the fetus. That'll solve all of society's problems.

Seriously, I don't approve of her actions, but prosecute her for child abuse? I guess some people never tire of trying to control everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]
I take it your mother smoked when she was pregnant?

There's no legal recourse, and I would never take it that far. My point is, she's risking/ruining the health of an unborn child because she couldn't handle quitting smoking. Give me a [censored] break. That's about the most selfish thing I can possibly think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother has never smoked. Period. Neither have I.

I agree that smoking during pregnancy is not smart. To be blunt about it, it's not smart at any time. But it's also her choice. You can assume she knows the risks. You don't have to approve. You don't have a right to get in her face about it or request the DA jail her ass.

That's the problem with freedom. Sometimes people use it to make choices we don't approve of.

[/ QUOTE ]

no. you're wrong. your freedom to smoke stops as soon as it affects someone else's life. namely, the unborn child. you're saying that if the child has a defect caused by smoking, well that sucks, but there's nothing that could've been done about it.

I don't mean to be rude, but damn, I strongly disagree.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about fist fighting a kangaroo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking a regular kangaroo or a mini-kangaroo? Seriously, this question begs for a poll. How many fetuses could a boxing kangaroo take on?

Swede
Old 10-06-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no. you're wrong. your freedom to smoke stops as soon as it affects someone else's life. namely, the unborn child.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother smoked with me and I was born perfectly fine and healthy. Driving in a car can lead to the death of a fetus. Should a woman who T Boned another car be held accountable for getting into the car?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:47 PM

- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -
Old 10-06-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am ignorant. So what happens when a pregnant woman smokes?

[/ QUOTE ]

go look in a mirror
Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no. you're wrong. your freedom to smoke stops as soon as it affects someone else's life. namely, the unborn child.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother smoked with me and I was born perfectly fine and healthy. Driving in a car can lead to the death of a fetus. Should a woman who T Boned another car be held accountable for getting into the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting theory.

I think I'll copy this and paste it in the "What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard?" thread.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:04 PM

It's a stretch, granted, but it brings up a point. There is a chance, however high it might be, that smoking may or may not effect an unborn child. There is also a chance, however high, that getting into a car may or may not effect an unborn child. Same goes with riding a bus, eating a hamburger, using public bathrooms, the list goes on. At what point do we stop and say "Whoa now, we've gotta step in."
Old 10-06-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove drunk one time and I'm totally fine. It must be ok.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:35 PM

That doesn't make it okay, it means drinking and driving does not definitely cause harm. Much like smoking while pregnant isn't guaranteed to harm the child. Both are incredibly stupid and definitely have potential to do harm, but that's all.

Saying a pregnant woman smoking is child abuse is stupid.