Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: sklanksy\'s iq

yeah, i think sklansky just made the comment sometime in the last couple days. seems very low to me too. 50%?? and he's talking about decent players. well, i guess ill just head off to roulette, and get this 50% deal over with!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:00 PM

Can u make a link to the thread we are discusing?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:47 PM

Old 09-08-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im too lazy to retrieve the exact quote, but something to the effect of this: IF YOU ARE ABOVE 130 IQ (GIFTED RANGE), STUDY 2 + 2, DO EVERYTHING RIGHT, READ HIS BOOKS, ETC, THEN YOU HAVE AROUND A 50% CHANCE OF SUCCEEDING IN POKER!! By success i think he said something to the effect of averaging a grand a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

That percentage seems very low. Did he make this statement before the online poker boom?

I'd put it at ~95%, if you add the qualifier that you need to be emotionally stable/intelligent as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said at least a 50% chance of making a minimum of $1000 per week. It's recent and in the 'giving up your day job part 2' thread on the magazine forum.

chez
Old 09-08-2005, 11:59 PM

Haven't taken it yet, i predict a 132.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:19 AM

I got a 126. I do not know whether this is really that great an IQ test though. All the questions are based on patterns. Recognizing partterns may be an important thing, but it is not the ONLY thing. Most other IQ tests I have seen have vocabulary and mathematical questions as well. Somebody may be a genius speaker, and poor in math for example, and get a horrible score on this test.

To put it in poker terms, somebody may be great at reading people (picking up on patterns), and yet cannot correctly calculate the mathematical aspects of poker.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:27 AM

Nope 106- guess i'm dumber en i think me be.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:31 AM

you are so gay
Old 09-09-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the Mensa test also has a large number of questions that revolve around seeing patterns, sequences etc. They also demand an entry IQ (based on their tests) of 150 (not the 140 that is implied by the photo above).

I enjoy taking IQ tests, and the half-hour to one-hour of most tests always flys by. FWIW, I've only seen a deviation of about a dozen points in all the tests I've taken, so I consider them pretty consistent, but they are not designed to measure the success that anybody taking the test might have in life.
However, some IQ groups are better suited to specific jobs, or perhaps I should say that some employers have found great success by plugging cerain IQ groups into certain jobs.

As for Mensa, I've been to a few "mixers" and about 80% of the people I talked to were boring enough to make me keep moving. The other 20% were a kick, and had so much more ability to think on different levels that I felt lost at times during conversations [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Personally, I doubt 5% of them could play winning poker above $1/$2. Sure, they kick ass at chess, and have deep understanding for theory, but they can't apply it to poker where the competition is often irrational.

Sorry, got a little carried away there. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 03:40 AM

Hey Chez- would you mind asking the genius how he came up with this %? Seems a bit arbitrary to me. What limit are we playing? How many hours a week, etc...What the h*ll is the madman talking about?