Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 03:29 AM

Default sklanksy\'s iq

Actually, this post is not really about sklansky's iq, though id be curious on that as well. Anyway, my poker mentor just made a post in the philosophy section about the probability of succeeding in poker.

Im too lazy to retrieve the exact quote, but something to the effect of this: IF YOU ARE ABOVE 130 IQ (GIFTED RANGE), STUDY 2 + 2, DO EVERYTHING RIGHT, READ HIS BOOKS, ETC, THEN YOU HAVE AROUND A 50% CHANCE OF SUCCEEDING IN POKER!! By success i think he said something to the effect of averaging a grand a week.

damn, that is rough. so much for the preface of SSHE, which states 50k a year is now no big deal. well perhaps the statements dont blatantly contradict.

anyway, just found his comments thought provoking. agree? disagree? id make a poll, but again, too dam* lazy.

took an online iq test tonight, but they tried to charge me 10 bucks to get the score. not worth it to me. maybe i can find a practice test at barnes & noble. i think i aced it though! pretty sure einstein couldnt have done any better.

toughest ? out of 38: If you have 3 regular hexagons, you can overlap them to form exactly 10 separate regions? T or F

(and you cannot use pen or paper)
Old 09-08-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: sklanksy\'s iq

Dude, the revolution will not be televised.

try this

go to Tests by Nicolas-Elena -these are culture-fair tests (so-called) and they are accurate to a decent margin.

Some other tests are good too; but, if they require payment, forecasting that you are a genius...

So, if you must take an IQ test try the link above; but these tests miss the fire in your belly. Of course, to succeed at poker (IMHO) I'd say a mandatory prerequisite would be IQ of 120-130 SD 15.

Some people who score 120 can outclass people who score 135 in some activities. Often people with stratospheric intelligence become alienated by society and crumble dreaming of the ubermensch...

Most "successful" people (i.e. power, wealth) have IQs around 130 SD 15.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:44 AM

http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf
Here u go, free IQ-test [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh the last time I tried to take something like this I made it through the easy questions then got mad at the difficult ones and quit then instead of telling my friend my score I said I "got bored".

Anyone else get shamed by these things like I do? If you all say you take these tests and get 150+ scores then I'm definitely going to have to try again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be honest and say I scored 110.

I'm not a big fan of IQ tests because they limit what is seen as intelligent. For example my girlfriend could be in mensa as her IQ is through the roof but I'm better at poker, I'm more creative and I've had a more successful career.

I also did just as well as her in my school exams.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:06 AM

What are the answers to 37 and 39, and how do you arrive to them?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a reason why the answers isn't there [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Dont spoil it for others.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Still cant give u an answer, but got 133 in th etest now.. but was pretty burned out in the end...
Old 09-08-2005, 10:18 AM

I also gave up on 37 and 39, I could not see any pattern

I scored 118. Seems to be about right. I'm certainly not mensa material. It's good enough for poker, so I'm happy!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im too lazy to retrieve the exact quote, but something to the effect of this: IF YOU ARE ABOVE 130 IQ (GIFTED RANGE), STUDY 2 + 2, DO EVERYTHING RIGHT, READ HIS BOOKS, ETC, THEN YOU HAVE AROUND A 50% CHANCE OF SUCCEEDING IN POKER!! By success i think he said something to the effect of averaging a grand a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

That percentage seems very low. Did he make this statement before the online poker boom?

I'd put it at ~95%, if you add the qualifier that you need to be emotionally stable/intelligent as well.